BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: Scotland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Friday, 29 November, 2002, 11:43 GMT
Chhokar heckler waits for sentence
Memorial service for Surjit Singh Chhokar
The gathering at which Chisholm spoke out
The man who heckled the father of a murdered Asian waiter at a memorial service has had sentence deferred for six months.

David Chisholm, 41, was told that the outcome of the case would depend partly on his behaviour between now and May 2003.

Chisholm was convicted last month of a breach of the peace at the service held by the family of Surjit Singh Chhokar on November 4, 2001, to mark the third anniversary of his death.

A large campaign was mounted over the legal system's handling of the murder, for which no-one has been convicted.

David Chisholm
David Chisholm: Now left the area
Three men were acquitted after two separate trials. The Chhokar family believes the killing of the 32-year-old was racially motivated.

Chisholm, of Overdale Place, Wishaw, was originally charged with acting in a racially aggravated manner towards Mr Chhokar's father Darshan but Sheriff Dan Russell ruled there was not enough evidence to prove this.

At Hamilton Sheriff Court on Friday, Michael Gallacher, defending, said Chisholm regretted what he had done and had since moved out of the area.

'Racist element'

Mr Gallacher said: "What he did was inappropriate and he regrets that. All he was asking the man to do was speak English, he felt that the racist element was being manufactured."

Deferring sentence, Sheriff Russell told Chisholm: "I can then decide what the appropriate penalty will be and there will be some effect on what happens in the meantime."

Surjit Singh Chhokar:
Surjit Singh Chhokar: Stabbed to death
Speaking outside court, Aamer Anwar, spokesman for the Chhokar Family Justice Campaign, said they were disappointed by the decision.

He said: "The Chhokar family refuse to be cowed, they will not forget and despite the assertions of those in the courtroom and outside they will not give up fighting for justice or remembering their son."

One of two government-backed reports into liaisons with the Chhokar family found elements of institutional racism in the procedures both of Strathclyde Police and the prosecution service.

Chhokar megapuff graphic

News

Background

The case

AUDIO VIDEO
See also:

01 Nov 02 | Scotland
07 Nov 01 | Scotland
04 Nov 01 | Scotland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Scotland stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Scotland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes