BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
    You are in: UK: N Ireland  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
 Friday, 29 November, 2002, 21:15 GMT
£1m fire bill at council depot
Extensive damage was caused to vehicles in the depot
Extensive damage was caused to vehicles in the depot
A fire at a council depot in County Tyrone has caused damage estimated at £1m.

Striking firefighters left their picket line to tackle the blaze which extensively damaged the depot in Dungannon following an arson attack.

Dungannon and South Tyrone Borough Council said at least 15 refuse lorries and vans and other equipment were damaged or destroyed at the Oaks Road site in the town.

A security force Yellow Goddess crew attended the fire, but council officers said if full time firefighters had not left their picket line, the damage would have been even more extensive.

Council officer Robert McMinn:
Council officer Robert McMinn: "The whole yard could have burnt down"

The military firefighters had difficulty finding the water hydrant and the blaze was only brought under control after the two red fire engine crews tackled the blaze.

Firefighters said it was the possible risk to lives from exploding fuel which brought them off their strike.

There were a number of fuel explosions at the depot and nearby houses were evacuated shortly after the fire was discovered at 0100 GMT.

An investigation into the cause of the blaze at the yard is continuing as the national strike by firefighters over pay enters its eighth day, with no sign that talks between the Fire Brigades Union and the employer will result in a deal.

The current strike is due to end on Friday evening.

Council officer Robert McMinn said he believed the fire in Dungannon was started deliberately.

The blaze began in a shed housing council lorries and other machinery.

"The building was burning at both ends, so it would appear that it had been started deliberately in the building," Mr McMinn said.

"There is about another half million of plant machinery and equipment sitting here close by.

'Good efforts'

"Had it not been for the good efforts of the firemen getting the water and foam on in time practically the whole yard would have burnt down.

"There are large quantities of diesel fuel stored here. Had the fire spread to that no-one knows what could have happened."

Lorries and vans were damaged along with street cleaning and ground maintenance equipment and domestic refuse bins were also burned.

The council said its refuse services would be disrupted for a time.

An examination of the scene is being carried out.

  WATCH/LISTEN
  ON THIS STORY
  BBC NI's Sharon Hall:
"Striking firefighters joined the military to tackle the fire"
  BBC NI's Kevin Sharkey reports:
"The council believes the fire was started deliberately"
See also:

22 Nov 02 | N Ireland
22 Nov 02 | N Ireland
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.


 E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more N Ireland stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes