BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Spanish Portuguese Caribbean
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Americas  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Thursday, 28 November, 2002, 13:27 GMT
Bush lifts curbs on Mexican lorries
Mexican trucks crossing into the US
Mexican lorries are restricted to a narrow zone in the US
The Bush administration has cleared the way for Mexican lorries to begin operating freely throughout the United States.


President Bush has made good on his commitment to open the border to international trucking

Norman Mineta
US Transportation Secretary
Mexican lorries are currently restricted to a 20-mile (32-kilometre) zone within US border states, where they load their cargo onto American lorries for further transport.

The long-standing restrictions remained in force despite the negotiation of the North American Free Trade Area (Nafta) in 1994, because of safety concerns and opposition from US lorry operators.

Mexico has long argued its lorries should have the same access to the US as Canada's, and two years ago an international trade panel ruled that the US restrictions had violated Nafta.

President George W Bush signed an order removing the curbs on Wednesday - opening the way for Mexican lorries to travel freely across the country in the coming weeks.

"President Bush has made good on his commitment to open the border to international trucking and cross-border regular route bus service," US Transportation Secretary Norman Mineta said.

"This will help increase trade between our countries," he added.

Safety standards

Under the new rules, Mexican transporters will be allowed to carry cargo and passengers to and from the US, but will remain barred from offering service between points in the US.

Colin Powell (left) with Mexican President Vicente Fox
Fox (right) held talks with Powell this week
Mr Mineta has ordered his agency to review the 130 applications from Mexican trucking and bus firms that want to operate on US highways.

Only companies that comply with all US safety standards and insurance requirements will be granted provisional operating authority, Mr Mineta said.

Last year a total of 4.3 million Mexican lorries entered the US for travel within the 20-mile-wide zone.

The move came a day after US Secretary of State Colin Powell met Mexican President Vicente Fox in Mexico City.

See also:

17 Apr 01 | Business
19 Apr 01 | Business
06 Apr 01 | Business
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Americas stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Americas stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes