![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, January 6, 1999 Published at 19:29 GMT
Butler denies spying allegations ![]() Unscom vehicles gather dust in the Baghdad compund The Chief UN weapons inspector, Richard Butler, has categorically denied newspaper reports that his team helped the US collect intelligence information during their inspection of suspected Iraqi weapons sites.
Speaking at the UN headquarters in New York, he said Unscom, the UN weapons inspection team, discovered in 1995 that it had been "flagrantly deceived by Iraq through false declarations" and had to call upon assistance from UN members which included the US. Secret communications
The reports in the Washington Post and Boston Globe newspapers say UN Secretary-General Kofi Annan had obtained evidence of a systematic operation in which American agents were able to listen in to secret communications between Iraqi security bodies responsible for protecting President Saddam Hussein. Quoting unidentified "confidants" of Mr Annan, the Post said that the UN chief was "alarmed by the implications of the relationship" which, if substantiated, could undermine the neutrality of the organisation. Annan denies knowledge
According to the Washington Post Mr Annan received the classified US intelligence about the eavesdropping activities through intermediaries. It said Mr Annan had confronted Richard Butler, head of the Unscom team, with the reports of alleged help received by the US. "The United Nations cannot be party to an operation to overthrow one of its member states. In the most fundamental way, that is what's wrong with the Unscom,'' the Post's source said. Further evidence for Baghdad
Iraqi officials have frequently accused Unscom of acting as an intelligence agency on behalf of the US and Israel, a charge denied by the UN. It has also complained about the dominance of US and British officials on the inspection teams. In another development, a preliminary assessment of damage to civilian facilities caused by the US-led strikes on Iraq - by the UN children's fund Unicef - said a food warehouse, schools, medical and maternity centres and a water supply system had been hit. It was the first such report from UN officials on the ground in Iraq. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||