![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, January 6, 1999 Published at 19:31 GMT World: Africa Angola promises to find UN planes ![]() Hilton Wilkinson, one of the 22 missing after the crashes The Angolan Government has agreed to co-operate with a United Nations team attempting to reach the sites where two UN-chartered planes came down over the past two weeks. UN Under-Secretary-General Benon Sevan said he was satisfied with President Jose Eduardo dos Santos commitment to help find the planes.
The envoy was vague when asked if he had had contact with Unita. "I am here to hold discussions with the government of Angola. We have reached a rather sensitive stage in the discussions," he said. Mr Sevan said final arrangements would be worked out when he met the Defence Minister, Pedro Sebastaio, later on Wednesday. Both planes came down near the central city of Huambo, an area held by Unita rebels. There has been fierce fighting in the region between government and rebel forces over recent weeks. The government and Unita have blamed each other for shooting down the planes. Unita has denied government claims that it is holding any captured survivors. No ceasefire The UN sent Mr Sevan to Angola to facilitate rescue operations for the planes, but he has so far failed to secure a ceasefire to allow a full search for survivors. The government told the UN on Tuesday it could not agree a ceasefire while Unita rebels continued military operations in the centre of the country. Unita declined to comment on the ceasefire request. Since the downing of the planes, the UN has halted all flights in and out of Angola and withdrawn its staff from combat areas. Mr Sevan said that President dos Santos also promised to provide security and safety for humanitarian personnel working with the UN and other aid agencies in Angola. UN 'will pull out' Fighting between Unita and the Angolan Government erupted in early December, marking the collapse of a precarious four-year-old peace accord intended to end more than 20 years of civil war.
A BBC correspondent in Luanda, Lara Pawson, says many Angolans fear that if the UN mission does pull out, the civil war will rapidly escalate into a bloodbath. Both UN planes crashed shortly after take-off from Huambo. The first, with 14 people on board, went down on 26 December. The second, carrying eight people, crashed on Saturday. The flights were chartered by the UN peacekeeping mission in Angola. The passengers were either UN peacekeepers or local employees with the mission. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||