Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Thursday, January 7, 1999 Published at 16:37 GMT


Adams not interested in Forest job

Atkinson is biding his time after being approached by Forest

Nottingham Forest hope to decide on Dave Bassett's successor after a board meeting on Friday.

It is unlikely to be caretaker boss Mickey Adams who has ruled himself out despite the promptings of leading Forest player Steve Stone.

Former Manchester United and Sheffield Wednesday manager Ron Atkinson remains favourite after revealing that Forest had approached him to discuss the vacancy.

But Atkinson is on holiday in the West Indies until next week and has said he would consider the offer and make his decision by then.

Bassett was sacked on Tuesday in acrimonious circumstances, with the east Midland side languishing in the Premiership relegation zone.

'I won't be applying' - Adams

Assistant manager Adams will take charge of first-team affairs at Coventry on Saturday.

But despite England midfielder Stone urging the Forest board to consider Adams, the former Fulham, Swansea and Brentford boss insists he is not interested.

"I don't want the job and I won't be applying for it," he revealed.

"It's flattering of Steve to suggest I should be considered but I'm just keeping the seat warm for whoever takes over."

Stone said: "From the moment Micky arrived at the club in the summer, I thought he was a top-class candidate to be manager here one day.

"I didn't think the chance would come so soon but I think he should be given the job until the end of the season.

"He's a good motivator, a good coach and he has the respect of everybody in the dressing room."

Bassett furious with board

Bassett earlier lashed out at the manner of his departure.


Mike Bushell: Bassett upset by "undignified" manner of his sacking
The 54-year-old accepted his sacking after 22 months at the City Ground as "part and parcel of football" but was left fuming at how news of his exit had been leaked out.

"I think it's rude and disgusting to hear that you have been sacked through the columns of a national newspaper," he said.

"I am upset that the club have not seen fit to deal with the matter in a much more dignified way.


BBC Sport Correspondent Gordon Farquhar reports
"I was sacked earlier in my footballing life at Watford and that was done with a great deal of dignity.

"I was called to meet Elton John, we discussed things, had a glass of champagne and went our way with the shake of a hand. We've remained friends ever since - and that's the way it should be."

Bassett led Forest to the First Division title last season but the top flight's bottom club recently set a new Premier League record when they went 17 games without a win.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©



Relevant Stories

06 Jan 99 | FA Carling Premiership
Bassett blasts Forest

02 Jan 99 | Football
From bad to worse

03 Jan 99 | FA Carling Premiership
Going nowhere





In this section

White Rose rivals meet again

Derby double swoop fails

Spurs stifle depleted Gunners

Dons destroy Leeds hopes

Campbell punishes Newcastle

Goalless as east meets west

Cole double sinks Leicester

Anfield has to wait for win

Steady Reddy saves Sunderland

Poor Villa beaten by Saints

De Bilde saves Wednesday

Bantams hold quick start Coventry

Heggem seals Anfield victory

Mighty Quinn sends Spurs crashing

Keane leads Coventry charge

Harte breaks Hammers