Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, January 6, 1999 Published at 14:57 GMT


UK

Ramblers challenge millionaire landowner

Ramblers want to see a statutory law allowing freedom to roam

Ramblers protesting against a millionaire landowner who has erected a giant fence across a footpath have mounted a peaceful demonstration on the edge of his estate.

A crowd of around 30 walkers protested on the boundary of Nicholas Van Hoogstraten's private estate in East Sussex on Wednesday.

The Ramblers' Association has been campaigning for ten years against Mr Van Hoogstraten, who last month described them as "scum".


[ image: Mr Van Hoogstraten: Ramblers
Mr Van Hoogstraten: Ramblers "are scum"
He has blocked access to a public footpath with a nine-foot high fence.

Last month the Ramblers' Association decided to take legal action against him after the local authority said it could not afford to take him to court.

'Let us walk'

Local members contacted Mr Van Hoogstraten to ask him to unlock the gate used to block the footpath but he has failed to do so.

A Sussex police spokesman said Wednesday's protest passed off peacefully with no arrests or breaches of the peace.

Last month, Mr Van Hoogstraten told the BBC the ramblers were "the scum of the earth" and had no right of way across his land.

The Labour MP Andrew Bennett is calling on the government to act and provide a statutory right of way for walkers. Mr Bennett, who is president of the Ramblers' Association and joint chairman of the Commons environment select committee, told BBC News Online he does not want Mr Van Hoogstraten to set a precedent.


[ image: Andrew Bennett:
Andrew Bennett: "This abuse must stop"
Obviously if one landowner is to be allowed to break the law and close footpaths which are registered rights of way, the others will follow," he said.

"The whole aim of the both the Ramblers' Association and myself is to see this abuse is stopped, that landowners do not break the law by closing rights of way, that councils enforce the law an in an increasingly crowded island, people can get out into the country to enjoy peace of mind to look at flowers and wildlife."

Flexible approach

The Environment Minister Michael Meacher is looking at a "flexible" approach to opening up thousands of acres of countryside to ramblers.

A keen walker, Mr Meacher told a Countryside Commission conference in London last month he was examining a mix of voluntary and legally binding deals to resolve the problem.

The government has published a consultation paper called The Right to Roam following its manifesto pledge to give people more freedom to explore the UK countryside.

But landowners are complaining that allowing more rights of way will lead to expensive security measures to protect livestock from dogs. Ramblers argue that voluntary arrangements with farmers have never worked in the past.

The Country Landowners' Association is strongly opposed to any new law, saying it would lead to the biggest erosion of its members' rights this century. It says voluntary agreements are adequate and has published a handbook for landowners to "review and improve access on their land".





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

03 Jan 99 | UK
Ramblers step up pressure on landowner

12 Dec 98 | UK
Ramblers 'scum of the earth'

31 Jan 98 | UK
Row over 'right to roam' plans





Internet Links


Ramblers' Association

Country Landowners' Association


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online