![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, January 6, 1999 Published at 13:48 GMT World: Asia-Pacific Anwar demands PM apology ![]() Anwar has become the focus of a campign for political change The former deputy Prime Minister of Malaysian Anwar Ibrahim has issued a statement calling on the prime minister to take responsibility for the fact that he was beaten in police custody.
The Malaysian Attorney-General yesterday revealed that the police were fully responsible for injuries to Mr Anwar following his arrest last September on charges of corruption and illegal sexual activity.
International condemnation
Mr Anwar's statement said that the assault had still not been properly investigated, and that individual police officers responsible should be brought to justice.
Opposition leader Lim Kit Siang said Mr Anwar's beating was "a security scandal of the first magnitude." "If this could happen to a personality who was until recently the deputy prime minister, the second highest office in land, which ordinary Malaysian can be safe and secure in police hands in the country?" Setback for defence Meanwhile Mr Anwar's defence lawyers say their case has been considerably weakened by the refusal of the judge to admit key evidence. Defence lawyers want to play four audio tapes of a conversation secretly recorded in London between the star prosecution witness Ummi Hafilda Ali and Malaysian businessman, Sng Chee Hua. They say this will prove there was a conspiracy to destroy Mr Anwar's political career months before his arrest. But the judge refused to hear the tapes saying their authenticity was seriously in doubt because they were not the original recordings. Prosecutors and defence lawyers had earlier agreed their transcripts of the tapes did not match. The defence will now have to try and challenge DNA evidence linking Mr Anwar to semen stains on a mattress on which he's alleged to have committed adultery; a crime in Malaysia. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||