Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, January 6, 1999 Published at 14:06 GMT


UK

No more compensation for PoWs

Arthur Titherington (second left) and other PoWs in Japan

UK Foreign Secretary Robin Cook has once more raised the issue of the harsh treatment dealt out to UK prisoners of war by the Japanese during World War II.

Mr Cook told Japanese Foreign Secretary Masahiko Koumura that the treatment of British PoWs was still a "sensitive issue" that aroused "very strong sentiments among the British people", a Japanese spokesman said.

But the spokesman repeated Japan's long-standing view that the issue of compensation had been dealt with in the 1951 Treaty between Britain and Japan.

But he added: "We understand the sentiments of the former prisoners of war and we think efforts to open their minds to reconciliation are vitally needed."

Mr Cook raised the issue during a meeting in London in which Middle East issues were top of the agenda as Mr Koumura is shortly to embark on a tour of Egypt, Syria, Jordan and Israel.

The low-profile meeting was also opportunity for Mr Cook to brief the Japanese minister on why it was necessary for the UK and US to carry out air strikes on Iraq and to inform him of humanitarian initiatives that are being implemented to help the Iraqi people.


[ image: More than 12,000 Britons died as prisoners of the Japanese]
More than 12,000 Britons died as prisoners of the Japanese
But former PoW organisations pressed the foreign secretary to demand an apology from Japan for its conduct during the war and to raise the issue of compensation for victims of brutality in its World War II camps.

Speaking before the meeting the chairman of the Japanese Labour Camp Survivors Association, Arthur Titherington, 77, said: "What we need is for something concrete to come out of this meeting - not just the usual hot air.

"This problem is not going to go away for the government, because I intend to keep on going as long as I am alive."

'Debt of honour'

Joan Bulley, 60, who represents civilians interned by the Japanese, said: "The Japanese owe us a debt of honour.

"The government must raise this issue and keep pressing the Japanese Government on our behalf."

More than 12,400 Britons died in Japanese captivity and thousands more suffered appalling physical and mental scars.

British former PoWs are campaigning for what they term a "meaningful apology", despite recently losing a court case in Japan that would have secured survivors £13,000 in compensation each.

Japan says that all such claims were settled with a payment roughly equivalent to £76 to each survivor under the terms of the San Francisco Treaty of 1951.

The veterans and several historians maintain that this was a Cold War "treaty of convenience" and that Japan owes a moral debt to survivors - a case supported by Germany's continued payments to Holocaust survivors and other atrocity victims in the decades after 1951.

The campaigners will be meeting Foreign Office Minister Derek Fatchett next Wednesday for more discussions.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

26 Nov 98 | UK
PoWs appeal

26 Nov 98 | UK
British PoWs vow to fight on





Internet Links


Twelve Hundred Days (survivor of Bataan death march)

Japanese Foreign Ministry

UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online