![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, January 6, 1999 Published at 16:39 GMT
US hints at more Iraq strikes ![]() A US Navy F-14 takes off to patrol the no-fly zone The United States has hinted that it might repeat last month's air attacks if Iraqi warplanes continue to violate the no-fly zones over Iraq set up after the Gulf War.
The chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff similarly told Congress that more strikes were possible.
"We have looked at numerous options and have various plans that are available right now. If the president were to see fit to take that type of action, we in fact have these kinds of plans on the shelf." Speaking later on television, Secretary of State Madeleine Albright was also emphatic that the US would enforce the no-fly areas. Missiles fired over Iraq Tuesday's incidents came over southern Iraq. Officials in Washington said four US aircraft fired six air-to-air missiles at four Iraqi planes although none hit their targets. One Iraqi fighter was reported to have crashed, possibly after running out of fuel. All US aircraft returned safely to base. Mr Bacon said there had been a total of eight violations of the southern no-fly zone, involving as many as 14 Iraqi jets. The Iraqi military denied it had lost a plane in the incident. A spokesman told the official Iraqi news agency that Iraqi jets had "confronted" allied aircraft that had "violated" Iraq's air space. The spokesman said all planes returned safely. It was the first clash between Iraqi and US fighters since December 1992, when a US Air Force F-16 Falcon shot down an Iraqi MiG-25 after being illuminated by radar. Latest incident Two no-fly zones - one in the north and one in the south of Iraq - were set up after the 1991 Gulf War. They are patrolled by US and UK planes.
The latest incident was the third in less than a week involving US warplanes enforcing the no-fly zone. BBC Washington Correspondent Philippa Thomas said it was the most serious since the US and UK bombed Iraq in December in Operation Desert Fox. Following the clash, a speech was broadcast by Iraqi President Saddam Hussein calling for Arabs to overthrow any of their leaders supporting the US. Damage assessment
It was the first such report from UN officials on the ground in Iraq. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||