![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, January 5, 1999 Published at 16:13 GMT
US jets attack Iraqi fighters ![]() American warplanes have clashed with Iraqi fighter jets in the no-fly zone over southern Iraq. Officials in Washington said four US aircraft fired six air-to-air missiles at four Iraqi planes although none hit their targets.
A Pentagon spokesman said there had been a total of eight violations of the southern no-fly zone on Tuesday, involving as many as 14 Iraqi jets. He could not confirm the reports of the crash of the Iraqi plane. The Iraqi military denied it had lost a plane in the incident. A spokesman told the official Iraqi news agency that Iraqi jets had "confronted" allied aircraft that had "violated" Iraq's air space. The spokesman said all planes returned safely. "It does appear that Saddam is frustrated because he has not been able to win support from the neighbouring Arab countries and the UN Security Council," Pentagon spokesman Ken Bacon said. "This type of challenge that we now see in the no-fly zone could be a sign of that frustration," he said. It was the first clash between Iraqi and US fighters since December 1992, when a US Air Force F-16 Falcon shot down an Iraqi MiG-25 after being illuminated by radar.
A US military official, Major Joe LaMarca, said US warplanes patrolling the zone responded after being "engaged" by a number of Iraqi jets. Speaking from Central Command headquarters in Tampa, Florida, he said it was the "most aggressive" incident involving Iraqi jets breaching the no-fly zone. Latest incident Two no fly zones - one in the north and one in the south of Iraq - were set up after the 1991 Gulf War. They are patrolled by US and UK planes. Last week, US planes fired on ground missile batteries in both zones after they said missiles had been fired at them from the ground. The latest incident was the third in less than a week involving US warplanes enforcing the no-fly zone. BBC Washington Correspondent Philippa Thomas said it was the most serious since the US and UK bombed Iraq in December in Operation Desert Fox.
On Monday, White House's National Security Council Spokesman David Leavy said: "The president has made it clear we will enforce the no-fly zones vigorously. The Iraqi violations are at their own peril." Iraqi air force chief General Khaldoun Khattab Omar said: "Iraqi fighter planes are totally free to fly the skies of Iraq, in the north and the south. "They have the right to defend our territory and no-one can stop them."
|
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||