Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, January 5, 1999 Published at 19:57 GMT


World: Africa

New Julie Ward murder charge

Kenyan authorities said Julie had been attacked by animals


John Ward: "I anticipate a very fair and open trial"
A second suspect is set to stand trial for the murder of British tourist Julie Ward in a Kenyan wildlife sanctuary a decade ago.

David Kadula ole Nchoko, 28, a former clerk at the Masai Mara Game Reserve was charged with murdering Ms Ward, then 28, in September 1988.

Chief Magistrate Peter Mugo said Mr Nchoko was not required to enter a plea because the attorney-general's office has yet to authorise the start of the trial.


[ image: Mr Makallah's trial was adjourned]
Mr Makallah's trial was adjourned
If convicted, Mr Nchoko, who was arrested on 28 December, faces the death penalty by hanging.

The case was adjourned until 19 January. As a suspect in a capital crime, he is not eligible for bail.

Simon Makallah, 49, a former chief warden at Masai Mara during the time of Ms Ward's death, has also been charged with her murder.

Last month, High Court Judge Daniel Aganyanya postponed the start of Mr Makallah's trial until 4 Febuary without giving any reason.


[ image:  ]
Two park rangers were charged with Ms Ward's murder in 1992, but they were acquitted by the judge who criticised the police investigation and said many questions remained unanswered.

Mr Makallah and Mr Nchoko were prosecution witnesses at that trial.

Ward's mutilated and charred remains were found on 13 September 1988 in the Masai Mara near Tanzania's border seven days after she went missing.

Officials first claimed she had committed suicide or been attacked by wild animals.

Her father, John Ward, has said he believes the Kenyan Government tried to cover up the murder to protect the tourist industry.

Mr Ward, a wealthy hotelier, has since campaigned tirelessly to bring his daughters killers to justice.

Our Nairobi Correspondent Cathy Jenkins says prosecutors hope Mr Makallah and Mr Nchoko will stand trial together.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

19 Jul 98 | Africa
The hunter and the hunted

18 Jul 98 | Africa
Father hopes for murder case progress





In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief