Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point

In Depth

On Air

Archive
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, January 5, 1999 Published at 12:59 GMT


World: Europe

'Grave' shows limitations of Kosovo monitors

Refugees flee the latest fighting which has killed at least 15 people

A team of human rights workers is in southern Kosovo to try to visit the site of an alleged mass grave containing the bodies of 11 women and children.


The BBC's Jackie Rowland reports from Belgrade
The Kosovo Liberation Army says the grave lies between the towns of Urosevac and Stimlje in territory under Serbian control.

Observers were given pictures of the site during a meeting with KLA representatives on 30 December. At the time, the reports could not be verified because of bad weather.

A spokesman for the international monitoring mission in Kosovo admitted that the human rights workers would probably only be able to look at the alleged grave site and see if there were any obvious signs.

The mission has no facilities for carrying out forensic tests. A team of pathologists from Finland which was in Kosovo investigating another mass grave is currently out of the country.


[ image: The October agreement has looked shaky]
The October agreement has looked shaky
The BBC Correspondent in Belgrade, Jackie Rowland, says the reports of the alleged grave near Urosevac have once again demonstrated the monitors' limitations.

The mission went to Kosovo with a mandate to police the ceasefire between the ethnic Albanian rebels and the Serbian security forces.

Within a short time it has found itself taking on a number of tasks more often associated with humanitarian agencies.

This latest task is particularly sensitive, since reports of a mass grave could endanger the shaky ceasefire which was re-established only last week.

There has been sporadic fighting in Kosovo since the truce declared in October, notably intense clashes between 24 and 27 December.

The Organisation for Security and Co-operation in Europe is still assembling its force of 2,000 international monitors, which hopes to help prevent a return to full-scale fighting.

Despite questions about the monitors' safety, the US State Department has said the situation does not warrant "re-evaluating" the mission.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

01 May 99 | Europe
Kosovo peace shattered

16 Dec 98 | Europe
Grave differences over Kosovo

13 Oct 98 | Kosovo
Will the deal work?





Internet Links


Federal Republic of Yugoslavia

Serbian Ministry of Information

Information on Kosovo

Human Rights Watch - Kosovo

OSCE Mission to Kosovo


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift