![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, January 5, 1999 Published at 09:03 GMT Sport: Football Johansson: Blatter plans 'unacceptable' ![]() Lennart Johansson: UEFA does not see any advantages in the scheme The president of UEFA, Lennart Johansson, has branded FIFA counterpart Sepp Blatter's suggestion of a World Cup every two years "unacceptable". Blatter insists he is serious about the idea, which would include a competition in 2004 to coincide with the 100th anniversary of FIFA. He says the idea of a World Cup every four years goes back to the days when teams had to set sail to reach the home country.
"UEFA is going to organise the European Football Championship in 2004 and it is the year of its 50th jubilee. "UEFA is always positive about projects that can be beneficial to everybody ... But UEFA does not see any advantages in a scheme that threatens to upset this balance." Blatter appears determined to organise, at the very least, a huge event to mark FIFA's 2004 anniversary, however. "To my mind a concrete way should be found of organising a major competition that year," Blatter said. "This 2004 World Cup finals would not however, for good reason, include 32 teams but perhaps just 24 as it was before the French edition last year." But Blatter has received little support from within his own ranks, with FIFA vice-president David Will greeting the suggestions with caution. Will indicated that the tournament might be devalued by reverting from its present four-year cycle - voicing the widespread fear that more might produce less. "This has not as yet been discussed at executive meetings and members like myself are hearing it now for the first time, but we would not reject any suggestion out of hand," Will said. "When an idea is proposed by the president of FIFA then it deserves a fair hearing as to its potential merits, but I have to say I can see enormous problems." |
Football Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||