![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, January 5, 1999 Published at 01:30 GMT UK Burger blow-out closes restaurants ![]() McDonald's: Huge demand for its New Year offer Burger chain McDonald's says its suppliers and distributors are working "flat out" to ensure that it can meet demand after an over-subscribed special offer closed restaurants across the country.
Company chiefs had expected to boost their usual early January sales of half-a-million Big Macs to around 2 million, but quickly discovered they had badly underestimated the popularity of the offer as sales rocketed to more than 4 million. A McDonald's' spokesman said that the company would be targeting supplies for restaurants that were worst affected by the rush, as angry customers were left disappointed on Monday. Burger King competition "Our suppliers are working extra hard to ensure that we meet demand tomorrow," he said. Earlier in the day McDonald's confirmed that several restaurants had closed for "restocking", but insisted that it was "just a dozen or so out of our 922 UK restaurants". The spokesman said that the chain was not anticipating further supply difficulties before the offer expires on 10 January. He also denied that the offer was inspired by the recent increase in popularity of rival chain Burger King and insisted that all special deals launched in 1999 are intended to celebrate McDonald's' 25th year in the UK. |
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||