![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, January 5, 1999 Published at 19:59 GMT World: Americas US improves Cuba links ![]() The US wants to improve life for ordinary Cubans New measures to increase contact among ordinary Cubans and Americans have been announced by President Bill Clinton.
The measures include a direct postal service, an increase in charter flights from the US, increased remittances to Cuban families, and permission to sell food to people and groups not connected with the government.
However, the US is maintaining its 37-year-old economic embargo against Cuba, including the bar on tourism to the island. The president also rejected suggestions for a commission to take a fresh look at US policy on Cuba.
"They are consistent with our policy of keeping pressure on the regime for democratic change, through the embargo and vigorous diplomatic initiatives, while finding ways to reach out to the Cuban people through humanitarian efforts and help in developing civil society.'' US Secretary of State Madeleine Albright stressed America would continue to support broadcasting to Cuba in order to keep up the pressure for freedom in ''a repressive and backward looking regime''. 'Difficult to implement' A report on Cuban state television said the new measures would hardly alleviate the embargo and would be difficult to implement. There has been no official reaction from the government of President Castro, who has recently been doing all he can to stimulate debate in Washington about the embargo. BBC Havana Correspondent Tom Gibb says the most significant announcement in the eyes of the government will be the rejection of a policy commission. Baseball match An early test of the initiative will come when a baseball delegation from the Baltimore Orioles travels to Havana - perhaps as early as this week - for discussions on a possible exhibition game this March. A Cuban team would be invited back for a return match, with the profits earmarked for a private relief organisation. The measures are mostly consistent with provisions of the 1992 Cuba Democracy Act, which calls for greater exchanges between the two peoples. Cash and food Under the new measures, all US citizens will be allowed to send up to $1,200 per year to Cubans. This was previously reserved for Americans with family ties to the island. Charter planes will be allowed to fly to cities other than Havana and from cities other than Miami to promote family reunification. The US embargo forbids the sale of food to Cuba by US firms, but the new proposal would revise the ban for recipients not linked to the government, such as the Catholic Church. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||