![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, January 4, 1999 Published at 22:39 GMT World: Middle East Iraq officially requests the replacement of British and US humanitarian workers The Iraqi government has formally requested the replacement of American andBritish humanitarian workers in Iraq, following last month's air strikes against it by the two countries. In a memorandum sent to the United Nations Security Council, Baghdad said it could not guarantee the safety of British and United States personnel. The spokesman for the UN humanitarian program in Iraq, John Mills, said the UN was studying the issue closely. Western diplomats say the Iraqi authorities had already told fourteen British and American nationals that they must be replaced. From the newsroom of the BBC World Service |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||