![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, January 4, 1999 Published at 11:16 GMT World: Asia-Pacific Cambodia's king ready to face genocide tribunal ![]() King Sihanouk is widely revered by Cambodians Cambodia's King Norodom Sihanouk has said he is ready to stand trial before any tribunal which hears charges against leaders of the Khmer Rouge regime. In a statement faxed from Beijing, where he is receiving medical treatment, the King said he was willing to give up his royal and constitutional immunity and accept a prison term.
It came in response to comments, both in Cambodia and elsewhere, that few Cambodian leaders can claim not to have been tainted by associations with the guerilla group and might wish to prevent any trials of its members taking place. Head of state
"Even if the judges of this tribunal do not summon me, I will present myself before this tribunal" the King said, adding he would act as his own lawyer. He said he would accept any decision of the court even he was sent to prison. Later this month legal experts from the UN are due to decided whether there is sufficient evidence to prosecute Khmer Rouge leaders. Khmer Rouge guests
The VIP treatment given to the two men has provoked mounting public anger.
Prime Minister Hun Sen, one of many government members who are former Khmer Rouge members, says that he had not offered any guarantees of immunity from prosecution to the two men. He had been widely criticised for earlier comments that any trial would be divisive and that Cambodia should "bury its past". |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||