![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, January 3, 1999 Published at 22:50 GMT
Saddam condemns no-fly zones ![]() The Iraqi leader says the zones are illegal The Iraqi President Saddam Hussein says that his people will resist the imposition of no-fly zones by the United States and UK according to the Iraqi news agency . Addressing his first cabinet meeting of the new year, he said that Iraqi airspace in northern and southern Iraq had been violated for eight years.
The no-fly zones, which cover about two-thirds of Iraq, were set up by the United States, Britain and France after the 1991 Gulf War to stop Iraq from using its air force against Kurdish rebels in northern Iraq and Shi'ite Muslims in the south. The no-fly zones are not sanctioned by the UN Security Council. Despite the 70 hours of missile bombardment and subsequent air strikes, Saddam Hussein warned that his forces would resist any further violation of Iraqi air space in defending their sovereignty.
Iraq's refusal to allow United Nations weapons inspectors access to sites of suspected weapons of mass destruction is at the heart of the country's crisis. Iraq is also threatening to refuse entry to British and American humanitarian workers who oversee the oil for food programme. Meanwhile on the streets of Baghdad, the consequences of sanctions are all too evident. Thousands of Iraqis started the new year by queuing for ration coupons, which entitle them to the most basic of food supplies and for the first time rationed medical treatment. |
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||