Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, January 3, 1999 Published at 16:11 GMT


World: Africa

UN to withdraw Angola observers

C-130 transport: Similar to the aircraft shot down in Angola

The United Nations special envoy to Angola says the UN has decided to withdraw all its 1,000 observers from areas of combat and to bring them back to the capital, Luanda.


The BBC's Andrew Clark: "Another blow to the UN mission in Angola"
The move comes after two UN aircraft were apparently shot down in the past week.

UN Special Envoy Issa Diallo said it appeared the UN was being targetted.


[ image:  ]
He did not rule out a complete UN pull-out from Angola, although he made it clear he would be reluctant to take such a step.

Earlier in New York, the UN Secretary-General, Kofi Annan, ordered the immediate suspension of its flights around the city of Huambo.

Mr Annan said he was outraged by the attacks and called on the government and rebels to halt their fighting.

No word on survivors


Lara Pawson in Luanda: "The UN is thinking seriously about its future role in Angola"
UN observers say the latest plane to crash had eight people on board - four UN personnel and four crew members. It is not known if there are any survivors.

The plane shot down shortly after take-off from the city of Huambo in Angola's central region.

The UN spokesman in Luanda, Hamadoun Toure, told the BBC that conditions for their personnel in Angola had become very difficult.


UN spokesman Hamadoun Toure: We're here to monitor peace not war
Just a week ago, a UN cargo aircraft carrying 14 people crashed less than 50km from the scene of the latest crash. Ten UN officials and four crew were on board.

The Australian Government has expressed concern at conflicting reports on the fate of the aircraft passengers - which included at least one Australian - and has called for unhindered access to the crash sites.

Unita has denied involvement in the crash and has dismissed government claims that the rebel movement was holding survivors.

UN officials have been trying to contact the Unita leadership to establish the exact situation.

The Angolan Government issued security guarantees to allow a UN team to travel to the site.

Huambo, Angola's second largest city, is held by the government and is used by the army to fly in reinforcements for fighting in surrounding areas.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

03 Jan 99 | Africa
A war fuelled by the earth's riches

30 Dec 98 | Africa
UN names 14 in Angolan crash

27 Dec 98 | Africa
Angola aid suspended after plane crash

05 Dec 98 | Africa
UN targets Unita leader





Internet Links


Republic of Angola

UN mission in Angola

Angola Peace Monitor


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief