![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Sunday, January 3, 1999 Published at 12:33 GMT World Bin Laden blockade 'a failure' ![]() Kenya bore the brunt of the casaualty list The millionaire Saudi dissident accused of masterminding attacks on two US embassies in Africa says attempts by Washington to disrupt his finances have failed.
Osama bin Laden again denied direct responsibility for the bombing of US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania but said other people had responded to his instigation.
He replied: "If the instigation for jihad (holy war) against the Jews and the Americans ... is considered a crime, then let history be a witness that I am a criminal. "Our job is to instigate, and by the grace of God, we did that, and certain people responded to this instigation." Cruise attacks The US has indicted him on charges of masterminding the attacks in Kenya and Tanzania on 7 August that killed more than 200 people. Thirteen days after the embassy bombings the US used cruise missiles to attack camps in Afghanistan suspected of being Osama bin Laden's training centres for extremist Muslims. A factory in Sudan suspected of manufacturing chemical weapons was also targeted. Osama bin Laden said that two men in US custody charged in connection with the bombings were innocent. He also criticised US and British airstrikes in Iraq last month, saying they were part of a plot to help Israel divide, enslave and loot the Muslim world. As for US accusations that he is seeking to buy chemical and nuclear weapons, Osama bin Laden said: "Acquiring weapons for the defense of Muslims is a religious duty. If I seek to acquire these weapons, I am carrying out a duty." But the information minister for the Taleban administration in Afghanistan, Amir Khan Mutaqi, said that as Osama bin Laden's overseas funds had been frozen, he had no money to finance either military or civilian projects in Afghanistan. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||