Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Sunday, January 3, 1999 Published at 03:36 GMT


World: Middle East

Yemen victims returned to UK

The plane carrying the bodies of the dead hostages arrives back in the UK

The bodies of three British tourists who were killed during the Yemen shoot-out have been returned to Britain as an investigation continues into the motives of the kidnappers and the response of the Yemeni Government.


BBC's Paul Royall: There is still no definitive explanation for their deaths
The British tourists and one Australian were killed as troops attempted an operation to rescue the 16 Western hostages.

Teacher Margaret Whitehouse, 52, from Hampshire, Ruth Williamson, 34, an NHS employee from Edinburgh, and university lecturer Peter Rowe, 60, from Durham, died along with Australian Andrew Thirsk, 35.

British detectives and agents from the American FBI are now investigating suspected links between the Islamic organisation behind the abduction, and groups in other countries.

British diplomats have expressed concern that the Yemeni authorities knew extremists were planning to attack a British target but failed to warn them.

Group has 'links to other extremists'

The UK Government has twice summoned the Yemeni ambassador to London meetings at the Foreign Office to press for a full, detailed account of the kidnapping and rescue operation.

Foreign Office Minister Joyce Quin says Britain is "seriously concerned" at the way the hostage crisis was handled.

Yemen says the kidnappers are part of a group calling itself Islamic Jihad and were already shooting hostages when the order was given to start the rescue. They say the group has links to other extremist groups outside Yemen.


[ image: The US suspects Osama bin Laden of bombing its embassies]
The US suspects Osama bin Laden of bombing its embassies
Officers from the US and UK who travelled to Yemen are trying to determine whether the group is connected to the Saudi dissident, Osama bin Laden. The US believes he is the mastermind behind last year's bombings of their embassies in Tanzania and Kenya.

The UK newspaper, The Sunday Telegraph, reports that 10 US intelligence officers who have flown to Yemen believe the 16 tourists were kidnapped as "direct retribution" for last month's air attacks on Iraq.

The US, says the newspaper, suspects that the tourists may have been kidnapped to "shield" Saddam Hussein from further bombing raids.

Eight Britons who survived Tuesday's shoot-out arrived back at Gatwick Airport on Friday night, while two women, including Dr Rowe's wife Claire Marston, were too badly injured to fly home and remain in hospital.

Four Scotland Yard detectives are now in Yemen investigating the circumstances of the killings.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

03 Jan 99 | Middle East
Pressure growing on Yemen

02 Jan 99 | UK
Hostages tell of 'tragic and bizarre' ordeal

01 Jan 99 | UK
UK hostages fly home





Internet Links


ArabNet: Yemen

US State Dept: Yemen

UK Foreign Office: Yemen


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform