![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, January 2, 1999 Published at 19:06 GMT World: Middle East Upsurge in Algeria killings ![]() Tens of thousands have been killed since 1992 Reports from Algeria say 22 villagers have been found dead with their throats cut in another upsurge in political violence. Security forces say the overnight attack in the south-west of the country was carried out by Islamic extremists.
The ambush near the city of Oran, 350km west of Algiers, began with a roadside bomb attack on two military vehicles.
The ambush was believed to be the deadliest reported attack on soldiers in Oran province. In the other attack late on Wednesday, at least three policemen were shot dead in Draa el Mizan, 90km east of the capital. There has been no official confirmation of either attack. The El Watan newspaper reported that militant Muslim rebels shot dead three policemen on Wednesday night in Tizi Ouzou, 90km east of Algiers. The report said the three had been on guard duty outside a mosque. Bloody history Tens of thousands of people have been killed in violence in Algeria since 1992 when authorities cancelled a general election in which the Islamic Salvation Front (FIS) had taken a commanding lead.
This year, more than 40 people have died since the religious period began on 19 December. It is not unusual for there to be an upsurge in violence in Algeria during the Muslim holy month. A BBC correspondent in the region says Islamic militants in Algeria believe they will be rewarded for carrying out attacks in what they believe is a holy war during Ramadan. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||