![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Saturday, January 2, 1999 Published at 12:32 GMT
Trimble: Scrap Parades Commission ![]() Orangemen were barred from marching down the Garvaghy Road Northern Ireland's First Minister David Trimble has made a renewed appeal to the government to scrap the body which banned Orangemen from parading down the mainly nationalist Garvaghy Road.
The commission ordered the Protestant marchers to keep away from the area in July after objections from Catholics and fears of sectarian clashes. Mr Trimble, also the Ulster Unionist leader, told Radio 4's Today programme that the problem needed to be solved but added: "I cannot see it being solved within the structures of the Parades Commission." The Parades Commission was still a "major obstacle", he said.
"My own view is that we can't solve it while we have the present legal structure. "I said at the time when the legislation was passed last year that it was a recipe for trouble and so it has proved. I think the government must look at this again." Mr Trimble also again called on paramilitary organisations to begin disarming and disbanding to give Northern Ireland a secure peace in 1999. "We have a peace at the moment - it is an armed peace punctuated by beatings and occasional incidents but we want a real peace," he said. "The maintenance of paramilitary structures is incompatible with that." |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||