Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, January 2, 1999 Published at 09:14 GMT


World: Africa

Plane crash survivors 'held by rebels'

The UN-chartered flight to Saurimo crashed after leaving Huambo

The Angolan army says survivors of a crashed United Nations plane are being held by Unita rebels.

Senior army officer Brigadier Joo Jota Manuel said the army has been told by Unita prisoners that the UN staff were in good condition, and being held in the Unita-controlled areas of Bailundo and Andulo - near the crash site

He said that he did not know how many of the 14 passengers and crew had survived. So far, there has been no comment from Unita.

A spokesman for the UN Mission in Angola, Hamadon Toure, confirmed the report is being investigated.

Earlier, officials said the Angolan Government had given security guarantees to allow a UN team to travel to Huambo - 500km south-east of the capital, Luanda - where the cargo plane went down last week.

The UN mission is reported to be seeking similar guarantees of safety from Unita.

Artillery barrage


[ image: The UN blames Unita leader Jonas Savimbi for the renewed violence]
The UN blames Unita leader Jonas Savimbi for the renewed violence
The aircraft crashed in an area where government forces and Unita rebel troops have been fighting for weeks. It was reported to have been shot down minutes after taking off from Huambo airport.

The UN evacuated staff from Huambo after a major rebel artillery barrage on Wednesday. The shelling reportedly killed at least six people and wounded around 20.

Huambo, Angola's second-largest city, is held by the government and is used by the army to fly in reinforcements for fighting in surrounding areas.

In its latest report on the fighting in the central highlands, the Angolan government says its troops have gained control of the town of Chilonda from Unita forces. Angolan radio said Unita had suffered heavy casualties.

UN deadline

The UN says it had asked several times for a ceasefire in the area around the crash, but until now both the government and Unita had denied receiving any request.

A resolution had set a deadline of 11 January for co-operation by Angolan forces, making a threat of further action, but stopping short of explicitly mentioning military intervention.

Angola's Defence Minister Pedro Sebastiao said on Thursday the government would ''co-operate in every way possible''.

"We are available to create the conditions so that the United Nations can carry out their duty, but this does not only depend on us," he added.

The UN has blamed Unita for the return to war. It says the rebels have refused to yield areas under their control and maintained a hidden army.

The fighting resumed on 4 December when government troops tried to take the strongholds by force.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

30 Dec 98 | Africa
UN names 14 in Angolan crash

27 Dec 98 | Africa
Angola aid suspended after plane crash

27 Dec 98 | Africa
UN plane crashes

15 Dec 98 | Africa
Diamond trade fuelling Angolan conflict

05 Dec 98 | Africa
UN targets Unita leader





Internet Links


Republic of Angola

UN mission in Angola

Angola Peace Monitor


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief