Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, January 2, 1999 Published at 01:17 GMT


UK

Yemenis knew of plot say press



British newspapers are accusing the Yemen authorities of knowing about a plot to kill Britons days before the kidnap of 16 tourists.

Both The Times and the The Express allege that security chiefs knew Islamic extremists were planning an attack on a British target but failed to alert British diplomats until four hostages had been killed in a shoot-out.

The Times says the freed hostages who arrived back at Gatwick airport on Friday "might have been spared their ordeal had British officials been told of the plot".

The paper says the "security lapse" will fuel the row over the rescue operation.

"If we had known about the threat of course we would have steered tour groups well away from the areas which are known to be the hunting grounds of Islamic fundamentalist groups," a diplomatic source is quoted as saying.

'Difficulty in establishing the facts'

The Express further alleges that British interests were being targeted and included a threat to bomb the British consulate and UN offices in Aden.

A diplomatic source is quoted in the Express as saying: "We only heard that the Yemeni authorities had received this very serious threat three days ago. They received it five days before the hostages were kidnapped."

The Daily Telegraph says details of the source of the warning are sketchy but "the Yemeni authorities indicated that it followed the arrest of an Islamic militant".

The Guardian also carries a critical report of events in Yemen and the confusion surrounding the rescue attempt.

It quotes a UK Foreign Office spokeswoman who says: "There are a number of points where we have concerns with the Yemeni Government's handling of the whole incident.

"We have had some difficulty in establishing the facts of what actually happened. There is a discrepancy and some confusion between the government of Yemen's version of events and those given by the survivors."

Under the headline 'Bungling rescuer knew Brits were terror gang target', the Sun newspaper also quotes sources who say the Yemenis knew of the threat and failed to tell British embassy officials.

"Had the warning been passed to the Foreign Office on time the slaughter might have been avoided," the paper says.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

02 Jan 99 | Middle East
Tourists undeterred by Yemen kidnap

01 Jan 99 | UK
Hostages tell of 'tragic and bizarre' ordeal

01 Jan 99 | UK
UK summons Yemeni ambassador





In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online