Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Saturday, January 2, 1999 Published at 00:58 GMT


World: Africa

Angola crash survivors 'held by Unita'

The UN-chartered flight to Saurimo crashed after leaving Huambo

The Angolan military say survivors of a United Nations-chartered plane that crashed last weekend are being held by Unita rebels.

Angolan radio quoted a senior army officer Brigadier Joo Jota Manuel as saying the survivors had been taken to rebel bases, near the crash site at Huambo, 500km southeast of the capital, Luanda. He did not say how many of the 14 people who had been on board survived the crash.

So far, there has been no comment from Unita.

Earlier, officials said the Angolan Government had given security guarantees to allow a UN team to travel to the combat zone, where the cargo plane went down. The UN mission is reported to be seeking similar guarantees of safety from the rebel movement, Unita.

Artillery barrage


[ image: The UN blames Unita leader Jonas Savimbi for the renewed violence]
The UN blames Unita leader Jonas Savimbi for the renewed violence
The aircraft crashed with 14 people on board near the central highland city of Huambo, where government forces and Unita rebel troops have been fighting for four weeks. It was reported to have been shot down minutes after taking off from Huambo airport.

The UN has evacuated staff from Huambo following a major rebel artillery barrage on Wednesday. The shelling reportedly killed at least six people and wounded around 20.

Huambo, Angola's second largest city, is held by the government and is used by the army to fly in reinforcements for fighting in surrounding areas.

UN deadline

The UN says it had asked several times for a ceasefire in the area around the crash, but until now both the government and Unita had denied receiving any request.

A resolution had set a deadline of January 11 for co-operation by Angolan forces, making a threat of further action, but stopping short of explicitly mentioning military intervention.

Angola's Defence Minister Pedro Sebastiao said on Thursday the government would ''co-operate in every way possible''.

Failing peace

"We are available to create the conditions so that the United Nations can carry out their duty, but this does not only depend on us," he added.

The UN has some 1,000 troops in Angola overseeing a 1994 peace treaty between the two sides which has now collapsed.

The UN has blamed Unita for the return to war. It says the rebels have refused to yield areas under their control and maintained a hidden army.

The fighting resumed on 4 December when government troops tried to take the strongholds by force.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

30 Dec 98 | Africa
UN names 14 in Angolan crash

27 Dec 98 | Africa
Angola aid suspended after plane crash

27 Dec 98 | Africa
UN plane crashes

15 Dec 98 | Africa
Diamond trade fuelling Angolan conflict

05 Dec 98 | Africa
UN targets Unita leader





Internet Links


Republic of Angola

UN mission in Angola

Angola Peace Monitor


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief