Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, January 1, 1999 Published at 14:51 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

Warning against Khmer Rouge trial

Khieu Samphan (left) and aide Long Norin visit the seaside

A warning not to put on trial two leading figures in Cambodia's reign of terror in the 1970s has been issued by an aide to the men.

The aide, Long Norin, said a trial of the two defecting Khmer Rouge leaders would expose the role of foreign powers in Cambodia - specifically the United States and China.

"A lot of people are involved and it's very complicated. If they push for this, we will dig up the past and present our own case," he said.


[ image: A hotel on the Sihanoukville beach - VIP treatment]
A hotel on the Sihanoukville beach - VIP treatment
There have been growing calls for the two men - Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea - to be tried on genocide charges for their actions in the Khmer Rouge government, which is held responsible for the deaths of an estimated 1.7 million people.

The leaders surrendered to the Cambodian Government late last week after striking a deal with Prime Minister Hun Sen.

There has been controversy over the warm welcome given to the two men by the authorities. They have been on a trip to the seaside and had lunch at the prime minister's residence.

Hun Sen has said it would not be in the national interest to hold a trial. Correspondents say he may be under pressure from states like China and Thailand to avoid a hearing.

However, on Friday he attacked Thailand for hosting the leaders and forcing him to accept defections rather than having them stand trial, French news agency AFP reported.

King Norodom Sihanouk and his son, the ousted prime minister Prince Norodom Ranariddh, have said they support the idea of an international trial. Several members of the king's family were killed by the Khmer Rouge.

The US, Britain and France have all issued strong statements saying that leaders of the Khmer Rouge must be held accountable for their action.

Experts hired by the United Nations are looking at the possibility of an international tribunal, along the lines of those for Rwanda and Bosnia.

They are due to report next month, but BBC Cambodia Correspondent Caroline Gluck says without the full co-operation of the Cambodian Government it will be hard to see how that might happen.

Khieu Samphan, former nominal leader of the Khmer Rouge, and Nuon Chea, the movement's chief ideologue, were key figures in Cambodia's reign of terror.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

29 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
US demands 'killing fields' trial

29 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
UN dismay at Khmer Rouge immunity

26 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Khmer Rouge leaders surrender

01 Jan 99 | Asia-Pacific
Letters of surrender - full text

21 Jul 98 | Asia-Pacific
Cambodia's troubled history

24 Jul 98 | Cambodia
Masters of the killing fields

16 Apr 98 | Asia-Pacific
Architect of the 'killing fields' escapes justice





Internet Links


Background to the Khmer Rouge regime

Cambodia Web

The Cambodian Genocide Programme

Legacy of the Khmer Rouge


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques