![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, January 1, 1999 Published at 08:37 GMT UK Ambulance chiefs' fears over Millennium ![]() Ambulances may be used only for urgent cases A number of ambulance services are reported to be worried about how to cope with the Millennium New Year's Eve celebrations. Some managers are predicting that demand could increase five fold because of the unprecedented scale of the celebrations and the likelihood of extended licensing hours. They are concerned that ambulance patrols and hospitals will only be able to deal with the most urgent cases. Marquees And they are considering sending people with minor injuries to temporary casualty units. They would be set up in marquees or council buildings in town centres where the largest celebrations are taking place. Some disused cottage hospitals could even be reopened. The Department of Health says no national plans have been made so far. This year around 90,000 people gathered in Trafalgar Square in London, but there were only 47 injuries, none of them serious. Seamus Kelly, deputy district commissioner of the St John Ambulance, said: "It's been an extremely quiet night and the only really unusual thing about it has been that it is so quiet."
|
UK Contents
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||