![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Friday, January 1, 1999 Published at 21:51 GMT UK Waking up to 1999 ![]() Igniting the New Year: Fireworks light the sky in Edinburgh Hundreds of thousands of New Year revellers are recovering from a night of celebration all over the UK as they welcomed in 1999.
The centre of the city was cordoned off for the good-natured street party to which only ticket holders were admitted. Bands including The Pretenders, UB40 and Mansun performed in Princes Street Gardens as part of the Hogmanay entertainment. Police reported no trouble before midnight and there were only four arrests for drunkenness offences. Revellers from across the globe enjoyed the party alongside Edinburgh folk, with thousands shaking hands and kissing strangers in the street in traditional New Year style. Nancy Lloyd, 23, from South Africa, said: "This has to be the most fantastic New Year anywhere in the world. The atmosphere is unbelievable." Trafalgar Square
Nelson's Column, the Christmas tree and the fountain were cordoned off and police reported a relatively trouble free night with 11 arrests, mainly for drunkenness. Later in the day, thousands of people lined the streets for a spectacular 13th New Year's Day parade. Arrests But there were several incidents of violence and drunken behaviour in other parts of the country. Police in the Gloucester area said 19 people were arrested in the first four hours of the New Year for a variety of drink-related offences including assault, affray and damage.
"There was a great deal of violence and drunkenness with the usual problems in casualty units," said assistant general manager David Kitchin. "We had extra resources and managers were touring the county in incident response vehicles so we were able to cope."
"Officers were fully deployed primarily to deal with drink-related incidents and domestic disturbances which were also drink-related," said a spokesman. "We also had a number of traffic accidents." Flu warning Merseyside and Cheshire saw the number of emergency calls fall by 15% on last year. "We had issued warnings to people to think twice before dialling 999 because we were already stretched by the flu bug," said Staff Officer Kevin Mulcahy, of the Mersey Regional Ambulance Service. "Whether people took notice of this or more people stayed at home because of the flu it is difficult to say." In Norfolk, police said they dealt with 375 incidents between 10pm and 4am - including 123 during the first two hours of 1999. A spokesman said there had been sporadic violence in Norwich and Great Yarmouth and a number of arrests had been made. Some cities used the evening as a practice run for the Millennium celebrations. Mobile casualty stations were set up in Liverpool, Warrington and Manchester as a trial run and were declared a success. Each dealt with up to 30 patients.
|
UK Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||