Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Friday, January 1, 1999 Published at 09:46 GMT


World: Africa

Sierra Leone's battle of Hastings

Villages have been left ruined as the rebels advanced

More details have emerged of a rebel attack on barracks used by pro-government troops in Sierra Leone.


Mark Doyle: Rebels do not control all of the north
The government says the insurgents were routed, following Wednesday's attack on barracks near the town of Hastings, 20km from the capital, Freetown.

Information Minister Julius Spencer said the barracks were used by Ecomog, the West African intervention force which is protecting the elected government from an offensive by rebels loyal to a military junta ousted in February, 1998.

Survivors from the fighting said that a commercial airstrip near the military barracks was also attacked.

BBC West Africa Correspondent Mark Doyle reports that on Thursday the fighting in the area appeared to have stopped.

Counter-attack planned


[ image: Ecomog soliders have received reinforcements]
Ecomog soliders have received reinforcements
Our correspondent says hundreds of pro-government militiamen, some armed with shotguns, others with knives and spears, were massing in the area for a probable new operation against the rebels.

Government sources say a counter-offensive will begin soon.

Nigeria, the dominant regional power which supplies most of the men defending Freetown, has sent thousands of reinforcements to swell the force estimated at 15,000 which is already in Sierra Leone.

The rebels have made significant gains in recent weeks and threatened to attack Freetown by the weekend if the government does not agree to talks.

The government and most observers agree that an attack on the capital is unlikely, but the atmosphere there remains tense. Army units are patrolling the streets, and the government has imposed a 10pm curfew.

Rebels 'trapped'


[ image: Rebels recently attacked the towns of Makeni and Lunsar]
Rebels recently attacked the towns of Makeni and Lunsar
The government says the rebels who were mounting incursions near Freetown have been trapped from the rear by Ecomog troops.

The information minister also dismissed a statement made on Wednesday by the UN representative in Sierra Leone, that the whole northern half of the country was under rebel control.

Independent observers agreed with the minister that some northern towns remained under Ecomog's control.

The minister conceded, however, that an area in the centre of the country was occupied by the insurgents.

The minister said the rebels were mounting attacks near the city to try to create a negative psychological effect on the population.

Key town captured


[ image: President Kabbah - the rebels want him to step down]
President Kabbah - the rebels want him to step down
A rebel commander said on Tuesday that his forces would begin attacking Freetown before the weekend if the government fails to agree to immediate talks.

Earlier this week, rebel fighters advancing towards Freetown captured the central town of Lunsar, a junction point on the road to capital.

The rebels have demanded that their leader, Foday Sankoh, jailed on treason charges, be released, and they also want President Kabbah to resign.

The elected government, which was restored to power by West African troops in March, says it will not discuss power sharing with the rebels, but has offered them a limited amnesty.

Liberian offer

Liberian President Charles Taylor offered to put pressure on the jailed rebel leader to help restore peace in Sierra Leone.

"With our knowledge of Sankoh, we may be able to exert some pressure to bring about peace," Taylor said at a news conference.

"Sankoh is part of the problem in Sierra Leone and should be part of the solution," he said.

Mr Taylor denied accusations that the Liberian Government is backing the rebels, but admitted that there were Liberians fighting on the rebel side.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

31 Dec 98 | Africa
Analysis: Sierra Leone's brutal rebellion

30 Dec 98 | Africa
Rebels 'control half of Sierra Leone'

27 Dec 98 | Africa
'Rebel spies' killed in Freetown

26 Dec 98 | UK
Britons return from Sierra Leone

24 Dec 98 | Africa
Sierra Leone's battle of Waterloo

04 Oct 98 | Africa
Thousands flee Sierra Leone fighting

11 May 98 | Arms to Africa row
Sierra Leone - a turbulent history





Internet Links


UN in Sierra Leone (UNOMSIL)

Sierra Leone Web


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief