![]() |
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 31, 1998 Published at 17:22 GMT World: Africa Sierra Leone rebels 'trapped' ![]() Villages have been left ruined as the rebels advanced The Sierra Leone government says rebels who have been mounting incursions in an area near the capital, Freetown, have been trapped from the rear by West African forces defending the government. Information Minister Julius Spencer also dismissed a statement made on Wednesday by the UN representative in Sierra Leone, that the whole northern half of the country was under rebel control. Dr Spencer cited numerous towns in the north where Ecomog, the West African force defending the government, was in full control. Independent observers agree that some of the towns he cited were indeed under Ecomog's control.
The rebels, who have been mounting attacks on the edge of the Freetown peninsula about one hour's drive from the capital, are advance units of a rebel offensive which in recent weeks has taken control of several key towns. 'No threat to Freetown' Dr Spencer said the rebels had made another infiltration just outside the city, attacking a barracks of the West African force near the village of Kossoh. But he said the infiltration was routed and these rebel groups were now trapped and would be dealt with. Dr Spencer repeated government assurances that there was no military threat to Freetown, and said the rebels were mounting attacks near the city to try to create a negative psychological effect on the population.
Our correspondent in Freetown says the city is calm but very tense, with army patrols on the streets. A rebel commander said on Tuesday that his forces would begin attacking Freetown before the weekend if the government fails to agree to immediate talks. Earlier this week, rebel fighters advancing towards Freetown captured the central town of Lunsar, a junction point on the road to capital. But the UN representative and independent observers do not expect the rebels to attempt an attack on Freetown. The rebels have demanded that their leader, Foday Sankoh, jailed on treason charges, be released, and they also want President Kabbah to resign. The elected government, which was restored to power by West African troops in March, says it will not discuss power sharing with the rebels, but has offered them a limited amnesty.
|
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||