![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Thursday, December 31, 1998 Published at 02:16 GMT
Prince Naz lands 'Royal reunion' ![]() Hamed has remained unbeaten during 1998 Prince Naseem Hamed has received an MBE, becoming the most high-profile Asian sportsman to be recognised in the Honours list. And in an ironic twist, Hamed's mentor, former trainer and manager Brendan Ingle has been given the same honour. Hamed's award recognises his unbroken three-year reign as World Featherweight boxing champion.
But 1998 was not the fighter's best year. He fought just twice, after suffering a serious hand injury during the summer, and his bout against Irishman Wayne McCullough in October was clouded in controversy. The boxer failed to arrive on time because of visa problems and then conducted a verbal war with journalists at the pre-fight press conferences. Shortly after that, Hamed parted company with Ingle, ending an association that had begun while the Prince was at primary school.
He said: "The kid is 24 and has won a couple of minor versions of world titles - I think they should have left it for a couple of years. I'm a fan of his ability in the ring. What I criticise him for is what he says outside of it. "Naz has said some things that the Boxing Board should have punished him for, but they didn't. Now he's got the MBE." 'Honour for family' Highlights of his year included becoming a father for the first time, and his increased visibility as a major sports personality. He has recently patched up his differences with Chris Eubank, and has sought the veteran's advice in respect of managing his own personal affairs. Hamed says he is relishing "a real royal reunion" with the Queen in the New Year. He said of the prospective meeting of Prince and Queen at the Palace: "It's a great honour and a privilege to be recognised in this way. "I'm delighted that my contribution to Britain's great tradition of boxing success is appreciated by so many people. It's a very proud day for me and a fantastic way to start the New Year. "The award is also a great honour for my family, particularly my parents and my wife Eleasha, who have had so much faith in me and shown such dedication and loyalty. "I'm looking forward to meeting the Queen again. It will be a real royal reunion between the Prince and Her Majesty. We are getting to be good pals!" said the World Champion. Double decker talent Ingle's award is recognition not just of the work he has done with Hamed, Herol Graham and Johnny Nelson, but also his standing within the Sheffield community, where his work with young boys is invaluable. Hamed's father got in touch with Irishman Ingle in an attempt to teach his son boxing skills in order to defend themselves against local bullies. But unbeknown to both Ingle had already spotted the Prince's talent from the top deck of a bus, when he saw a skinny, small boy showing outstanding reflexes, to avoid punches thrown by schoolyard bullies. When Sal Hamed called Ingle to his corner shop to introduce his sons, the relationship between Naz and the Irishman was forged. It went on to flourish and ultimately foundered following the publication of the Ingle's controversial book The Paddy and The Prince. "I'm delighted and honoured to be receiving this award. I don't know where the last 40 years have gone, they've flown by," said Ingle. "I see myself going on until I'm about 90-odd, it's in my blood. I've got plenty of people to train in the gym, I've got great kids coming through," he added. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||