BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South North Midlands/East West/South-West London/South
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: UK: England  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
England
N Ireland
Scotland
Wales
Politics
Education
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
EDITIONS
Tuesday, 12 November, 2002, 14:43 GMT
Youth jailed over car-jack death
CCVT still of the incident
The incident was recorded by CCTV cameras
An 18-year-old man who threatened a security guard, stole his car and drove over him has been jailed for nine years.

Sikiru Egberongbe, died in hospital five days after the attack in Manchester in which he suffered severe chest and head injuries.

He was attacked after arriving at the Cariocca Business Park, Miles Platting, in June and getting out of his car to open the gates.

Christopher Howell, of Reginald Street, Openshaw, Manchester, admitted manslaughter at Manchester Crown Court last month and was sentenced on Tuesday.

Sikiru Egberongbe
Sikiru Egberongbe had left his car engine running

He received eight years for manslaughter, one year for an unrelated robbery and four months for an assault which happened just half an hour before the manslaughter.

He was arrested after CCTV cameras caught him attacking Nigerian-born Mr Egberongbe, of Chorlton, Manchester.

The 64-year-old was threatened by Howell after climbing out of his car to open the business park gates, leaving the engine running.

After struggling with the youth, who had jumped into the passenger seat, he was dragged under the car which ran him over.

Christopher Howell
Christopher Howell: Jailed for nine years

Speaking after the sentence, Mr Egberongbe's wife Milicent said: "Sikiru was a wonderful husband, father and grandfather and we all feel a great loss and sadness since his death.

"Whatever sentence is passed will not bring my husband back and we will all have to live with his loss for the rest of our lives."

Detective Superintendent John Kelly, of Greater Manchester Police, said: "This was a terrible, unprovoked attack on a man who was on his way to work.

"Christopher Howell attacked Mr Egberongbe without the slightest thought of the consequences of his actions."


Click here to go to Manchester
See also:

14 Jun 02 | England
17 Mar 02 | UK
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more England stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more England stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes