| You are in: UK: N Ireland | |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, 12 November, 2002, 20:54 GMT
Firefighters may respond during strike
Yellow Goddesses have arrived in the province
Firefighters in Northern Ireland have left open the possibility that they will respond to a major incident during their 48-hour strike over pay.
About 500 military personnel trained in firefighting have arrived in the province ahead of Wednesday's strike. The Army's fleet of 32 Northern Ireland 'goddess' firefighting appliances has already been deployed at bases throughout the province. Jim Quinn from the Fire Brigades Union said firefighters would not let the public down.
"Our members will be on strike for 48 hours," he said. "However over the past 30 years we have never let down the Northern Ireland public and we don't intend to now."
Meanwhile, in London talks involving national and Northern Ireland Fire Brigade's Union representatives broke down on Tuesday afternoon. Firefighters' leader Andy Gilchrist left Tuesday's pay talks having rejected the findings of an independent review which recommended the 11% pay rise over two years, linked to changes in working practices. Queen's University Belfast Vice Chancellor Sir George Bain, who headed the government-sponsored review had his recommendations offered the only way of reaching a rational deal.
The FBU, which said the offer was "insulting and derisory", is demanding 40%. Employers met on Monday night to study the eight-page interim Bain report and said they welcomed its "vision" of a future fire service. Mr Gilchrist said the Bain review deal - 4% now and 7% next year - amounted to £10 a week extra for a firefighter with 14 years' service. He said Sir George had set back the progress which had been made in previous talks. Mr Gilchrist also hinted at "dark forces" in the government which were actually seeking to provoke only the second ever national fire strike by refusing a deal.
"We have turned up today to pick up on the progress we made in the last few weeks and hopefully secure a decent and substantial rise for firefighters and control staff," he said. Three other eight-day strikes are planned for before Christmas - the first national walkouts for 25 years. Another firefighters' union, the Retained Firefighters Union (RFU) - which has a no-strike policy - welcomed the review, saying it could "form the basis" for negotiation and settlement. The government welcomed the report and urged the union to call off the strikes and reach a deal with employers. 'Rational and equitable' Fire service minister Nick Raynsford said he regarded the proposals as an "exciting, far-reaching" package. He warned any pay hike must be linked to reform, increased flexibility and improved partnerships with other agencies.
He said: "I don't believe the inquiry has scuppered the chances of a resolution. "In the longer term it provides the only basis on which any kind of rational and equitable deal can be done." He said both sides would have to return to the negotiating table, whether or not there was a strike, and he said his proposals would be there for them to work on.
|
See also:
31 Oct 02 | UK
11 Nov 02 | UK
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top N Ireland stories now:
Links to more N Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more N Ireland stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |