![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Wednesday, December 30, 1998 Published at 09:19 GMT World: Asia-Pacific King rejects amnesty ![]() Khmer Rouge leaders in Phnom Penh urge reconciliation King Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia has said he will not approve any amnesty for two former Khmer Rouge leaders who defected to the government last week.
One of the leaders, Khieu Samphan, made his first public apology this week for the "killing fields" genocide in Cambodia which left up to two million people dead in the 1970s.
They also follow a warning from the United States that relations with the Cambodian Government could be jeopardised unless the Khmer Rouge leaders were held accountable for their actions.
The King added that any international tribunal would have "the perfect right to take up the case of genocide in Cambodia, because it concerns crimes against humanity".
Anger and dismay Khieu Samphan, the former nominal leader of the guerrilla movement, and Nuon Chea, its chief idealogue, are currently in the Cambodian capital, Phnom Penh.
The former UN secretary general was reported as saying the world must respect Cambodia's decision not to try two Khmer Rouge leaders for genocide. Neither of the latest Khmer Rouge defectors have been charged by a court.
Two years ago the King, under pressure from the country's joint Prime Ministers, agreed to pardon Ieng Sary, the former Khmer Rouge foreign minister, of a 1979 death penalty after he had been convicted in absentia on genocide charges.
Our correspondent says the guerrilla group is now finished both as a political and military movement, with just one major leader, Ta Mok, still at large. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||