Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Wednesday, December 30, 1998 Published at 04:23 GMT


World: Africa

Extra troops arrive in Sierra Leone

Recovering from surgery after both hands were cut off during the war

Military reinforcements from West African nations have been arriving in Sierra Leone to bolster the democratic government of President Ahmed Tejan Kabbah, in the face of rebel advances.


West Africa Correspondent Mark Doyle: "Freetown is probably not in danger."
More troops have been flown in from from Nigeria, which provides the bulk of the West African intervention force, and from Ghana. Soldiers from Mali and Gambia are also expected.

The intervention force admitted on Monday that its troops had been forced to withdraw from the key northern town of Makeni.

Skirmishes were reported on Tuesday in hills around the capital, Freetown, but the BBC West Africa correspondent, who is in Freetown, says the West African troops are firmly in control there.

The rebels are remnants of a military junta overthrown earlier this year by a Nigerian-led force which re-instated the elected government.

Request for troops

The additional troops were requested on Monday at the end of a regional summit in Abidjan by Lansana Kouyate, general secretary of the Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas).

Nigeria, which already provides the bulk of the 10,000 strong West African coalition army known at Ecomog, has sent an additional 1,000 soldiers.

An unnamed senior Ghanaian defence ministry official said: "We have sent some men and officers to help beef up what is already on the ground."

Some 500 soldiers from Mali and Gambia are also expected within days, and other West African nations have also pledged troops.

Defection fears

Meanwhile, officials from the intervention force say they have had to move Sierra Leoneon soldiers from barracks in Lungi, north of Freetown, following reports by local residents that they had been fighting with the rebels.

The soldiers were being kept in Lungi as part of a demobilisation programme launched after the overthrow of the military junta.

Military officials would not disclose where the men had been moved to, but one report suggested several hundred were now in a maximum secuity prison in Freetown.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

29 Dec 98 | Africa
Rebels advance in Sierra Leone

27 Dec 98 | Africa
'Rebel spies' killed in Freetown

26 Dec 98 | UK
Britons return from Sierra Leone

24 Dec 98 | Africa
Sierra Leone's battle of Waterloo

20 Dec 98 | Africa
Sierra Leone rebels capture diamond town

04 Oct 98 | Africa
Thousands flee Sierra Leone fighting

11 May 98 | Arms to Africa row
Sierra Leone - a turbulent history





Internet Links


Sierra Leone Web

UN in Sierra Leone (UNOMSIL)


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Dam builders charged in bribery scandal

Burundi camps 'too dire' to help

Sudan power struggle denied

Animal airlift planned for Congo

Spy allegations bug South Africa

Senate leader's dismissal 'a good omen'

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Zimbabwe constitution: Just a bit of paper?

South African gays take centre stage

Nigeria's ruling party's convention

UN to return to Burundi

Bissau military hold fire

Nile basin agreement on water cooperation

Congo Brazzaville defends peace initiative

African Media Watch

Liberia names new army chief