![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, December 29, 1998 Published at 20:12 GMT World: Middle East Four killed in hostage shoot-out ![]() The tourists were seized in the southern province of Abyan Three Britons and one Australian were killed in a shoot-out between their kidnappers and Yemeni troops trying to rescue them.
Mr Cook said "others" were injured in the incident and all next of kin had been informed.
The four dead were among a party of 16 Western tourists - 12 Britons, two Americans and two Australians - who were travelling with the British-based tour operators Explore Worldwide. They were abducted on Monday, despite a police escort.
Four others have been arrested and face the death penalty under legislation introduced in the summer in a bid to stamp out kidnapping in the Yemen. Yemeni officials say the security forces intervened when the kidnappers - believed to be Islamist militants - began killing their captives.
He says it appears the Yemeni authorities were unwilling to discuss the kidnappers' demands, which included the release of the leader of an Islamist group, arrested two weeks ago.
If the details are confirmed, this marks a departure from the pattern of peaceful kidnappings of foreigners in Yemen. Westerners have generally been held only briefly in support of local grievances. Four still held About 100 foreigners in have been kidnapped in Yemen in the past six years. Four German tourists abducted three weeks ago are still being held in the eastern province of Marib. The tourists were travelling with the UK-based company, Explore Worldwide, in conjunction with a Yemeni holiday firm.
Unlike Chechnya, Yemen is not on a list of countries which the British Foreign Office advises tourists against visiting on any account. The Foreign Office says: "British visitors and residents in Yemen should be aware of a risk of random kidnapping throughout the country including the capital Sanaa." |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||