Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 29, 1998 Published at 19:11 GMT


UK

Electricity firms attacked after storms

Engineers have cut short holidays to repair power lines

Electricity firms in Scotland and Northern Ireland have defended themselves against criticism that after three days' of storms thousands of customers face a further night without power.


The BBC's John Andrew: Electricity bosses blame delays on the sheer scale of damage
The companies said engineers are working flat out to cope with the damage and some had been called back from their Christmas holidays to help restore power.

But Clydesdale MP Jimmy Hood said the situation is appalling and has called for the chief executive of ScottishPower to resign. Mr Hood said he believed poor management and lack of investment were to blame for the extent of the problems.

"No amount of weaselly words from ScottishPower bosses can excuse their complete incompetence in protecting supplies in Scotland," he said.

"These people only last month were boasting of acquisitions of American companies from their huge and excessive profits. This month they can't keep the lights on in Scotland.

"I will be pressing the government to increase penalties from £50 to £10,000 - you have to make the punishment fit the crime."

A spokesman for ScottishPower rejected Mr Hood's criticism. "It was a huge weather event with 100,000 off supply. No system in the world can withstand 110mph winds. And its customary for electricity firms to second staff to help others in times of crisis," he said.

Customers most affected were in rural areas in the Lothians, Strathclyde, Dumfries and Galloway, south Lanarkshire and Ayrshire.

In the Scottish Hydro-Electric area in north and western Scotland only 24 consumers remain to be reconnected, a company spokeswoman said.

Grim forecast

After a lull, high winds are expected to reach 70mph in the north and west on Tuesday night.

About 9,000 homes in the Irish Republic are still blacked out and worsening conditions are making the work of repair crews attempting to restore electricity more difficult.

Electricity bosses in Northern Ireland have been defending their slow progress.

"We have found extraordinary levels of damage that we have not seen in 30 years," said Patrick Heron of Northern Ireland. "It's much greater than last year and it's just taking long time to come to grips with it because the damage is so extensive."

High winds in the West

Severe weather persists in the West Country. A country road in Cornwall was closed after part of a carriageway and a retaining wall crashed into an adjacent river.


[ image: A country road collapsed in Cornwall]
A country road collapsed in Cornwall
The seafronts at Penzance, Cornwall, and Torquay, south Devon, were closed by police for a time at high tide when waves began breaking over the sea walls.

A 1,300-tonne Dutch freighter ran aground near Tynmouth in Devon. A coastguard tug went to the rescue but the ship managed to refloat itself at high tide.

The storms will have blown out most of their ferocity by the time they reach the south-east, forecasters said, but heavy rain is expected everywhere.

The Met Office predicted poor weather is likely to dampen New Year celebrations through into the weekend.

Only a few isolated minor roads remained closed and railway spokesmen reported that all services were running as normal.

A spokesman at AA Roadwatch said accidents were unusually scarce for such weather because of the very light traffic.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

29 Dec 98 | UK
Britain battered again





Internet Links


BBC Weather Centre

ScottishPower

Northern Ireland Electricity

Scottish Hydro-Electric


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online