Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 29, 1998 Published at 12:40 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

China sentences bank hackers to death

China is concerned about the effect computers will have on society

A Chinese court has sentenced two brothers to death for using a computer to hack their way into a bank's system and electronically steal 720,000 yuan ($86,900).

The official Wenhui Daily said the trial had been the country's first case of theft by remote means.

An intermediate court judge in the eastern city of Yangzhou said that the sentence reflected the "tough stance" that the country had to take against an expected wave of high-tech crime.

Hao Jingrong, an employee at an Industrial and Commercial Bank of China branch in Zhenjiang, secretly connected a home-made modem to the bank's computer in September.

His twin brother, Hao Jingwen, then used a personal computer set up in a specially rented apartment in Yangzhou to dial into the bank system and transfer the funds.

The funds were then deposited in 16 accounts that the brothers had opened under false names.

The report did not clarify how the authorities traced them but by the time they were caught they had withdrawn a total of 260,000 yuan.

The sentence also includes a fine of 40,000 yuan.

In November China announced it was stepping up measures to deal with computer hackers after a spate of incidents, including the hacking of a government human rights Website.

Dissidents jailed

In a separate case, two US-based dissidents have been sentenced to three years forced labour after they secretly re-entered the country, the Foreign Ministry said.

The announcement of the sentence, the maximum allowed without trial, was the first news on the whereabouts of Zhang Lin and Wei Quanbao since they returned home almost two months ago.

Families and supporters of the men in the US accused Chinese authorities of being evasive when they had requested information on the pair's whereabouts.

In a statement, the Foreign Ministry said police arrested Zhang and Wei in the southern provincial capital of Guangzhou in a barber shop operating as a front for prostitution.

The two men had allegedly confessed to hiring prostitutes and using a truck to secretly re-enter the country from Hong Kong on November 11.

Zhang, 35, has already spent two periods in prison and labour camps for democracy campaigning. After his release last year he left for the US where he reportedly received a residence permit.

The foreign ministry statement said the men are members of the China Democratic Justice Party, "a hostile foreign organisation".

But the Hong Kong-based Information Centre of Human Rights and Democratic Movement in China, reported last week that Zhang and Wei had renounced their ties to exile groups advocating democracy.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

04 Dec 98 | Sci/Tech
Routing round Chinese Walls

04 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Dissent on the Internet

29 Oct 98 | Sci/Tech
Ethical hackers are concerned by inside jobs





In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques