Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 29, 1998 Published at 19:05 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

Khmer Rouge leader 'sorry' for genocide

Hun Sen (centre) welcomes the two Khmer Rouge leaders to Phnom Penh


Caroline Gluck reports from Phnom Penh
Former Khmer Rouge leader Khieu Samphan has made his first public apology for the "killing fields" genocide in Cambodia which left up to two million people dead in the 1970s.

"Yes - sorry, sorry, sorry, I am very sorry," he said when asked if he felt remorse for his role in the Khmer Rouge's four years in power.


[ image:  ]
"Actually we are very sorry, not just for the lives of people, but also for the lives of animals that suffered in the war," he said, adding that "history should remain history".

Khieu Samphan was speaking after he and Nuon Chea - another senior Khmer Rouge - were welcomed to talks in the capital, Phnom Penh, by Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen. Both men defected to government forces last week.


Khieu Samphan: "We have to forget the past"
He told reporters he understood that many Cambodians were resentful at leaders of the guerrilla movement since many of their family members had lost their lives. But he appealed to them to look forward, saying that the country still faced many problems.

"It is time to let bygones be bygones" he said.

Need for reconciliation


Cambodian exile Dana Tep tells BBC World why she wants those responsible for genocide brought to justice
The last time he visited the Cambodian capital in 1991, just after the signing of the Paris peace accords formally ending the country's civil war, he came under attack from an angry crowd.

During talks with Hun Sen, Khieu Samphan, many years the international face of the shadowy Khmer Rouge, spoke of the need to forget the past in the interests of national reconciliation.

Yesterday the Cambodian premier made clear that he opposed international calls for the defectors to be tried and said Cambodia should be allowed to decide for itself how to deal with the two men.

Fears of renewed conflict


[ image:  ]
"Those who once led a war have requested to rejoin and live in the national society" he said.

"So what we will welcome them with are not guns, bullets, prison, or handcuffs, but a bouquet of flowers hailing their spirit of national reunification."

He said the government's policy now was one of reconciliation and any trial would be divisive and mean a return to civil war.

'No amnesty'


Prime Minister Hun Sen (in Khmer): "The two have returned as normal citizens"
But Cambodia's Secretary of State for Information, Khieu Kanyarith, told the BBC that under the International Convention on Genocide, the government had no powers to "grant amnesties to the perpetrators of genocide".


Secretary of State for Information, Khieu Kanyarith: "We are not saying we have closed the case"
The UN special rapporteur on Cambodia, Thomas Hammarberg, told the BBC he hoped there was still an openness among political leaders to proceed with previous pledges to bring Khmer Rouge leaders to justice.

The BBC's correspondent in Phnom Penh, Caroline Gluck says there is growing anger and dismay at the possibility that the two men may never be made to account for their part in the Khmer Rouge reign of terror.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

29 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
UN dismay at Khmer Rouge immunity

26 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Khmer Rouge leaders surrender

29 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Letters of surrender - full text

21 Jul 98 | Asia-Pacific
Cambodia's troubled history

24 Jul 98 | Cambodia
Masters of the killing fields

16 Apr 98 | Asia-Pacific
Architect of the 'killing fields' escapes justice





Internet Links


Legacy of the Khmer Rouge

Background to the Khmer Rouge regime

Cambodia Web

The Cambodian Genocide Programme


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques