Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 29, 1998 Published at 17:31 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

Yacht disaster inquiries launched

The yacht Stand Aside and a life raft drift in the sea - six sailors died in the race

The organisers of the Sydney-Hobart yacht race have announced a major safety inquiry following the death of six sailors in treacherous waters.


The BBC's Damian Grammaticus: "An emotional arrival" at the finish line
The yachts were hit by gale force winds and mountainous waves shortly after they set sail from Sydney, causing three times the number of fatalities previously recorded in the 54-year history of the event.

Hugo van Kretschmar, commodore of the Cruising Yacht Club of Australia (CYCA) which organises the Sydney-Hobart race, said that the inquiry would cover all aspects of the race, including issues such as yacht design and the structure of life rafts.

He said it would take on board suggestions made by the rescue services, and will report back before the 1999 event.


[ image: Hugo van Kretschmar - findings of the inquiry to be  incorporated in all CYCA races]
Hugo van Kretschmar - findings of the inquiry to be incorporated in all CYCA races
The inquiry will be headed by former CYCA commodore, Peter Bush, who said that his first job would be to establish the frame of reference for the investigation, and to gather detailed information from competitors on the conditions and actions they took.

He indicated that there will also be a thorough review of safety equipment, practices and reporting procedures. Mr Bush further indicated that the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) has agreed to assist in the review.


Robin Knox Johnston: It would be "an error" for organisers to cancel races
Mr van Kretschmar confirmed that the findings of Mr Bush's committee will be incorporated into not only the future Sydney-Hobart races, but all future long ocean races conducted by the Club.

An investigation into the deaths will also be conducted by the New South Wales state coroner, with whom the CYCA will fully co-operate.

The race will carry on

Mr van Kretschmar said that "the race is an Australian icon," and it will carry on despite this year's tragedies.

"Some may decide it's too risky, but I do not think it will have a significant impact on entries," ha said.


[ image: Sydney to Hobart: 725 miles - 53 previous races claimed only two lives]
Sydney to Hobart: 725 miles - 53 previous races claimed only two lives
Mr van Kretschmar also said it was "nonsensical" to suggest that race organisers could have foreseen the severity of the storm and delayed the start of the race on Saturday.

CYCA officials pointed out that Rule 4 of international ocean racing said "a boat (skipper) is solely responsible for deciding whether or not to start or to continue racing", an argument echoed by Ross McDonald, a crewman from the stricken yacht Wild Thing.

"You enter a race at your own risk," he said. "You're free to pull out any time you feel it's too much for you."





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

29 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Yacht disaster inquiry launched

29 Dec 98 | UK
Missing UK yachtsman 'presumed drowned'

28 Dec 98 | Europe
Australian disaster: Echoes of Fastnet

28 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Escape from 'Hell on Highwater'





Internet Links


Sydney Morning Herald

Sydney to Hobart Race

Australian Maritime Safety Authority

Cruising Yacht Club of Australia


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques