![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Tuesday, December 29, 1998 Published at 09:45 GMT UK Politics Brown stands by Whelan ![]() Ministers have been accused of setting their own agendas Chancellor Gordon Brown is determined to stand by his press secretary Charlie Whelan despite growing calls for his resignation, according to reports. Downing Street is widely believed to hold Mr Whelan responsible for the leak that led to Peter Mandelson being forced to quit the Cabinet last week.
Mr Whelan has spent the week since the Mandelson scandal broke and the accusatory fingers first started pointing in Scotland. But Mr Brown is understood to be backing Mr Whelan in denying any responsibility for the story about Mr Mandelson's secret loan from former paymaster general Geoffrey Robinson. The latest twist in the on-going saga is likely to prompt speculation that government feuding extends to the highest levels. Former Labour deputy leader Lord Hattersley told BBC Radio 4's Today programme he blamed junior officials, rather than any ministers. "I very much doubt if the chancellor and the prime minister are having difficulties in their relationship," he said. "I think some of the men and women who work for the chancellor and the prime minister are antagonistic towards each other, as young enthusiasts often are. "But I suspect that the chancellor and the prime minister are as close as two men in government have been for a very long time." Most of Tuesday's newspapers interpret Cabinet Office Minister Jack Cunningham's comments to the BBC as a direct attack on Mr Whelan.
The downfall of Mr Mandelson as trade secretary led to a renewed bout of speculation about Cabinet in-fighting. Mr Mandelson quit on 23 December over an undeclared £373,000 loan from former paymaster general Geoffrey Robinson, who also resigned.
Downing Street has no direct evidence Chancellor Gordon Brown's press secretary Charlie Whelan is behind the leak, but it would not be the first time the team at No 11 Downing Street have settled old scores.
Mr Soley told BBC Radio 4's Westminster Hour: "I've had my own worries off and on as to whether there were people ... settling old scores. "In my view, if there is evidence of that, those people need to go and we need to be very tough on that. "If people are going round trying to settle old scores that is unacceptable." |
UK Politics Contents
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||