| You are in: UK: Wales | ||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, 11 November, 2002, 13:53 GMT
'Lost' war painting unveiled
Stanley Lewis and the painting before it was restored
An unfinished painting discovered hanging in a damp barn after being lost for 60 years has been put on display in Newport for the first time.
The picture, commissioned in 1940, depicts members of the civil and volunteer services who defended Newport during World War II.
The work was discovered by an art expert in a Herefordshire barn owned by the artist responsible for the work - Stanley Lewis, who is described as a distinguished artist. Called The Home Front, the painting was never finished after Mr Lewis, now aged 96, was called up for military service. The canvas was spotted by Roger Cucksey, from Newport Art Gallery who had been invited by Mr Lewis to see his work. "I was speechless," said Mr Cucksey. "There are very few occasions in one's career where you get moments where you freeze and the goose pimples come up on the back of your neck. "This was one of those moments - I saw it and immediately recognised it for what it was. "Mr Lewis began to tell me about the story which has taken a couple of years to unravel," he said.
Mr Cucksey discovered the painting was never completed after Mr Lewis was called up for duty shortly after falling out with the principal of Newport School of Art. His employers had objected to Mr Lewis, then aged 31, dating and later marrying one of his students. As he left the building, Mr Lewis accidentally ripped the canvas, pulling it from the wall. The tear is still visible despite restoration work carried out on the painting. "You can see every mark and scratch," said Mr Cucksey. "It tells the history of the last 60 years, Mr Lewis has lived in 12 different houses and it has been folded up and transported to every one in turn. "It is amazing it is still around," he added.
Mr Lewis, who was too ill to attend the opening of the exhibition at Newport Museum & Art Gallery, said it was an honour to have done the painting. "They were splendid people - marvellous people," he said. "They did their job no trouble at all, no grumbling or anything. "I was very proud to draw such people," he added. The exhibition at Newport Museum and Art Gallery will be held until April |
See also:
11 Nov 02 | Technology
07 Nov 02 | England
07 Nov 02 | Entertainment
06 Nov 02 | Wales
03 Nov 02 | Scotland
Internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites Top Wales stories now:
Links to more Wales stories are at the foot of the page.
|
||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Links to more Wales stories |
![]() |
||
| ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To BBC Sport>> | To BBC Weather>> | To BBC World Service>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------- © MMIII | News Sources | Privacy |