Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 29, 1998 Published at 04:35 GMT


World: Europe

Chechnya hostage remains flown home

Kidnapping by armed gunmen is a constant threat in Chechnya

The remains of four engineers, who were killed by their kidnappers in the breakaway Russian republic of Chechnya, are being flown home.

Their bodies were handed over to the British ambassador in neighbouring Azerbaijan, before being put on a plane for London.

The four - three Britons and a New Zealander - were captured by guerrillas in October, as they worked on the installation of a telecommunications system, and were later decapitated.

The remains of Britons Peter Kennedy, Darren Hickey and Rudolph Petschi, and New Zealander Stanley Shaw were positively identified by doctors on Sunday.

A motorcade of three ambulances transported the bodies to the Russian republic of Daghestan after crossing the border from Chechnya.

Daghestan's Deputy Interior Minister, Magomed Magomedov, collected the bodies at the Gerzel bridge from Chechen Deputy Prime Minister Turpal Atgeriyev.


[ image: The murdered men had been installing a mobile phone network]
The murdered men had been installing a mobile phone network
The remains were then taken to the border with Azerbaijan where staff from the British Embassy in Baku collected them.

The British Ambassador, Roger Thomas, said: "There were no complications whatsoever. The bodies are in coffins, very nicely made coffins. The coffins are put into zinc containers and it was done with great dignity and they've obviously taken a great deal of care in handling these bodies."

Mr Thomas accompanied the coffins in a police convoy to Baku, where they were loaded onto a British Airways flight to London.

Father 'relieved'

Mr Hickey's father Eamonn said it was "a relief" to learn at last what had happened to his son's body.

At the family pub in Thames Ditton, Surrey, he said: "It is a relief to have the feeling that they are finally coming home. We are still devastated, but at least there will be a funeral after all."

The bodies of the four men were found on Saturday evening in the village of Chernorechiye, on the outskirts of the Chechen capital Grozny.

The men had been kidnapped on 3 October and their severed heads were found following an apparantly bungled rescue attempt.

Grozny requiem planned

Mr Petschi, Mr Hickey and Mr Shaw were working for Surrey-based Granger Telecom on a contract to install telephone systems in the breakaway Russian republic. Mr Kennedy was a consultant for British Telecom.

It was reported that a requiem for the dead men will be held in the Russian Orthodox Church of the Archangel Mikhail in the Chechen capital, Grozny, on Sunday.

Chechnya fought a 1994-96 independence war with Russia. It now runs its own affairs, though no country recognises its claims of sovereignty.

The region has seen a boom in crime and kidnappings for ransom since the war ended.

However, while kidnapping is commonplace and hundreds of locals have been killed, the dead men were the first foreign hostages to lose their lives.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

29 Dec 98 | Europe
Chechen hostage bodies 'found'

22 Dec 98 | Europe
Hostage remains handover delayed

09 Dec 98 | Europe
UK pledges to find killers





Internet Links


Chechen Republic Online


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Violence greets Clinton visit

Russian forces pound Grozny

EU fraud: a billion dollar bill

Next steps for peace

Cardinal may face loan-shark charges

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

Trans-Turkish pipeline deal signed

French party seeks new leader

Jube tube debut

Athens riots for Clinton visit

UN envoy discusses Chechnya in Moscow

Solana new Western European Union chief

Moldova's PM-designate withdraws

Chechen government welcomes summit

In pictures: Clinton's violent welcome

Georgia protests over Russian 'attack'

UN chief: No Chechen 'catastrophe'

New arms control treaty for Europe

From Business
Mannesmann fights back

EU fraud -- a billion-dollar bill

New moves in Spain's terror scandal

EU allows labelling of British beef

UN seeks more security in Chechnya

Athens riots for Clinton visit

Russia's media war over Chechnya

Homeless suffer as quake toll rises

Analysis: East-West relations must shift