![]() |
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
|
Monday, December 28, 1998 Published at 21:57 GMT World: Africa Crisis talks on Sierra Leone ![]() Ecowas secretary general Lansana Kouyate (centre) called for dialogue West African foreign ministers have held an emergency meeting to discuss how to address the rebel offensive taking place against the government of Sierra Leone.
Ecomog troops are defending President Ahmed Tejan Kabbah's government in Sierra Leone. Delegates included key West African foreign ministers, the Ecomog commander in Sierra Leone, the UN special representative there and the ambassadors of the two western countries most influential in Freetown, the UK and the US.
Fighting was reportedly continuing on Monday in the central town of Makeni, where rebels claimed to have captured the town from Ecomog forces. Sierra Leone's Foreign Minister Sam Banya said all of Makeni's several thousand residents had fled. Mr Banya also claimed that the rebels were supported by mercenaries recruited from Liberia, Burkina Faso and the Ukraine. "We have strong evidence that Liberia is helping the rebels and they have also hired these foreign mercenaries who are the reason for the recent attacks," he said. Lansana Kouyate, general secretary of the Economic Community of West African States (Ecowas), which directs Ecomog operations in Sierra Leone, called for further troop reinforcements from West African countries. Mr Banya told reporters that two battalions of Nigerian soldiers flew into Freetown late on Sunday night to reinforce Ecomog. Several hundred Gambian troops were also expected to join the force and other West African nations also pledged troops, but so far only Nigeria has provided soldiers in significant numbers. Although the rebels were not invited to the meeting, Mr Kouyate stressed that Ecowas was also trying to open a dialogue. President Kabbah's government had already offered to negotiate with the rebels and proposed an amnesty for their troops on the condition that they lay down their arms, but the rebels have rejected talks and vowed to storm the capital, unless Mr Kabbah resigns. Our correspondent says that encouraging dialogue will be extremely difficult and rebels are unlikely to trust many of those attending the Abidjan meeting, as almost all the participants openly support President Kabbah's government. |
|
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||