BBC NEWS Americas Africa Europe Middle East South Asia Asia Pacific Somali Swahili French Great Lakes Hausa Portugeuse
BBCi NEWS   SPORT   WEATHER   WORLD SERVICE   A-Z INDEX     

BBC News World Edition
 You are in: Africa  
News Front Page
Africa
Americas
Asia-Pacific
Europe
Middle East
South Asia
UK
Business
Entertainment
Science/Nature
Technology
Health
-------------
Talking Point
-------------
Country Profiles
In Depth
-------------
Programmes
-------------
BBC Sport
BBC Weather
SERVICES
-------------
LANGUAGES
EDITIONS
Sunday, 10 November, 2002, 14:48 GMT
Six sought over Soweto bombings
Suspects Jan Gouws, Gerhardus Visagie, Kobus Pretorius (top left to right) and Johan Pretorius, Wilhelm Pretorius and  Herman van Rooyen (bottom left to right)
All six men face charges of treason and terrorism
South African police have released the names of six men they want to question in relation to a series of bombings in the Soweto township last month.


One thing is for sure, we will get them

Police chief Jachie Selebie
The men, Jan Gouws, Gerhardus Visagie, Herman van Rooyen and brothers Kobus, Johan and Wilhelm Pretorius, all face charges of high treason, terrorism and sabotage, said South African police chief Jackie Selebie.

All six men are believed to have links with a group of Afrikaner right-wing extremists known as Boeremag, or Farmers Force, whose leader, Thomas Vogel Vorster, was arrested last month.

"We are working around the clock to find these people," Mr Selebie told the South African Sunday Times newspaper.

"One thing is for sure, we will get them."

'Race war'

Nine bombs went off around the sprawling township on 30 October, killing a woman and seriously injuring her husband as they slept in their shack yards from one of the devices.

Soweto township
About two million people live in sprawling Soweto
A mosque was also severely damaged and several railway lines between Soweto and Johannesburg destroyed - an act which caused commuter chaos.

South African Defence Minister Mosiuoa Lekota said last week that he suspected the men were former members of the army and police attempting to start a "race war".

"It certainly does not represent the majority of Afrikaners... but a residue within the South African National Defence Force [SANDF] and the South African Police Service," he said.

Extremist group

Mr Vorster was arrested in a joint operation by US and South African authorities after he went to the US consulate to try to renew his Green Card, the South African Sunday Times reported.

Another 19 members of the organisation have been arrested since August on suspicion of plotting to overthrow the South African Government.

They are due to face trial next year.

The Soweto bombings were the worst such attacks since the first all-race elections in 1994.

See also:

31 Oct 02 | Africa
31 Oct 02 | Africa
30 Oct 02 | Africa
16 Jun 02 | Africa
16 Jun 01 | Africa
13 Jun 01 | Africa
11 Jul 02 | Country profiles
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Africa stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Africa stories

© BBC ^^ Back to top

News Front Page | Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East |
South Asia | UK | Business | Entertainment | Science/Nature |
Technology | Health | Talking Point | Country Profiles | In Depth |
Programmes