Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, December 28, 1998 Published at 17:34 GMT


World: Middle East

16 die in Algeria violence

Victims of an earlier massacre - more than 1,200 were killed during Ramadan a year ago

Reports from Algeria say suspected Islamist militants killed 16 people and wounded several others in an attack on the town of Khemis Miliana, 120 km (75 miles) west of the capital Algiers.

Witnesses said 40 knife-wielding militants stormed the settlement, and slashed their victims' throats.

The killings took place shortly after people had begun their Ramadan meal to the daytime fast.

The army is reported to have launched a sweep in the area to hunt for the assailants.

Correspondents say it was the most serious incident since the start of Ramadan 10 days ago.

Mortar attack

At around the same time, another district of Khemis Miliana was bombarded with home-made mortars, injuring dozens of people. Some reports said as many as 11 rockets fell on the town.

"I was performing the Taraouih [Ramadan] prayer at my home when I heard two explosions. Like many others, I first thought they were bombs because that's the first time we've come under mortar attack," a local man said.

The newspaper Le Matin reported that a school and several homes were hit during the attack. It said the shells were fired from the nearby Merouana mountain range.

Security services used helicopters to search for the attackers in the hills.

One report suggested that the mortar attack was a decoy to distract the attention of the security forces from the other attack.

Killing season

The area around Khemis Miliana, near the Zaccar and Dahra hills, has in the last few months been the focus of attacks by Islamist extremists, who regularly step up their activities during Ramadan.

In last year's fasting season, similar attacks claimed the lives of more than 1,200 people in Algeria.

Tens of thousands of people have died, most of them civilians, in a spiral of violence that began early 1992 with the cancellation of elections that the now banned Islamic Salvation Front was poised to win.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

09 Dec 98 | Middle East
Upsurge of violence in Algeria

12 Oct 98 | Middle East
Muslim leaders demand end to Algeria bloodshed

27 Sep 98 | Middle East
UN says both sides guilty in Algeria

13 Mar 98 | Despatches
Algeria - a nation growing in fear

06 Jan 98 | Briefings
Murk and mayhem obscure injustice in Algeria

21 Oct 97 | Algeria
Algeria: country profile





Internet Links


World Algeria Action Coalition

Africa Index: Algeria


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Safety chief deplores crash speculation

Iraq oil-for-food aid extended

Israel demands soccer sex scandal inquiry

Israeli PM's plane in accident

Jordan police stop trades unionists prayers

New Israeli raid in southern Lebanon

New demand over PLO terror list

Earthquake hits Iran

New UN decision on Iraq approved

Algerian president pledges reform