Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Monday, December 28, 1998 Published at 18:07 GMT


UK

Britain braced for battering

Hundreds of engineers are trying to restore power in Scotland and Northern Ireland

Many parts of the UK are bracing themselves for another battering from gales which claimed five lives at the weekend.


Linda Duffin reports on the wintry weather buffetting much of the UK
Meanwhile, thousands of homes in Scotland are facing a third night without electricity after power lines were brought down on Boxing Day.

BBC weather forecaster Peter Cockroft said gales would return to Northern Ireland and the west coast of Scotland overnight and added: "It's time to batten down the hatches."


Peter Cockroft gives a weather warning and forecast
Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and the west coast of England will be worst hit although maximum gusts are estimated at 70mph, compared to 110mph in some places on Boxing Day.

More snow is also expected in central and south Scotland.

Homes blacked out

ScottishPower had hoped to reconnect around 20,000 customers by midnight on Monday but its team of engineers has been hampered by poor weather.


[ image: The spire of St Stephen's Church in Glasgow was blown down]
The spire of St Stephen's Church in Glasgow was blown down
A spokesman said: "We've still got about 12,000 to 13,000 customers off supply but we hope to get that down to less than 5,000. The outstanding customers will be reconnected tomorrow."

The worst affected areas are rural south Ayrshire, south Lanarkshire and Dumfries and Galloway.

Alasdair Morgan, MP for Galloway and Upper Nithsdale, said many of his constituents had problems getting through to ScottishPower's 24-hour emergency helpline.


[ image: Engineers conducting repairs have been hampered by the weather]
Engineers conducting repairs have been hampered by the weather
ScottishPower said it had been "inundated" with 500,000 calls in a 24-hour period and offered minimum compensation of £50 to those without power for at least 24 hours.

Scottish Power's managing director of power systems, Alan Richardson, told BBC Radio Scotland: "We were on standby but what we weren't ready for was the east-to-west, north-to-south extent of the damage."

He said they had around 700 trees on power lines and added: "What we've got to do is find it, make it safe and cut the tree and put the wires up again, so each one is a big job."


[ image: The clear-up operation in Wales has already begun]
The clear-up operation in Wales has already begun
Scottish Hydro-Electric said around 1,000 of their customers were without power.

A spokesman said they were hoping to have all residents in the Mull of Kintyre, Arran, Bute and Dunoon areas reconnected by midnight on Saturday.

Two stretches of railway line remain out of service.

ScotRail said buses would replace trains on the Gourock-Paisley Gilmour Street and Largs-Ardrossan South Beach branches.

High winds and floods have led to separate tragedies across the country.

Drowned in swollen river


[ image: River search: Rescuers search the Ashburn]
River search: Rescuers search the Ashburn
The body of a man who fell into a river during Boxing Day storms has been recovered by rescue teams.

Paul Witt, 44, was last seen at the bottom of his garden at Ashburton, Devon.

His body was found in the flood-swollen river Ashburn half a mile south of the town.

In Northern Ireland a 24-year-old was killed in Comber, near Belfast when the car he was driving crashed into a tree which was blocking the road.





Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©


UK Contents

Northern Ireland
Scotland
Wales
England

Relevant Stories

22 Dec 98 | Themes
Nature's turbulent year

16 Oct 98 | Sci/Tech
UK to get hotter, stormier





Internet Links


BBC Weather Centre


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Next steps for peace

Blairs' surprise over baby

Bowled over by Lord's

Beef row 'compromise' under fire

Hamilton 'would sell mother'

Industry misses new trains target

From Sport
Quins fightback shocks Cardiff

From Business
Vodafone takeover battle heats up

IRA ceasefire challenge rejected

Thousands celebrate Asian culture

From Sport
Christie could get two-year ban

From Entertainment
Colleagues remember Compo

Mother pleads for baby's return

Toys withdrawn in E.coli health scare

From Health
Nurses role set to expand

Israeli PM's plane in accident

More lottery cash for grassroots

Pro-lifers plan shock launch

Double killer gets life

From Health
Cold 'cure' comes one step closer

From UK Politics
Straw on trial over jury reform

Tatchell calls for rights probe into Mugabe

Ex-spy stays out in the cold

From UK Politics
Blair warns Livingstone

From Health
Smear equipment `misses cancers'

From Entertainment
Boyzone star gets in Christmas spirit

Fake bubbly warning

Murder jury hears dead girl's diary

From UK Politics
Germ warfare fiasco revealed

Blair babe triggers tabloid frenzy

Tourists shot by mistake

A new look for News Online