Europe South Asia Asia Pacific Americas Middle East Africa BBC Homepage World Service Education



Front Page

World

UK

UK Politics

Business

Sci/Tech

Health

Education

Sport

Entertainment

Talking Point
On Air
Feedback
Low Graphics
Help

Tuesday, December 29, 1998 Published at 06:58 GMT


World: Asia-Pacific

UN dismay at Khmer Rouge immunity

The Khmer Rouge: Responsible for an estimated 1.7 million deaths

A senior United Nations official says it would be extremely sad if two Khmer Rouge leaders who have surrendered were not charged with crimes against humanity.


Caroline Gluck in Phnom Penh: Dismay is growing
Thomas Hammarberg, the UN's special representative for human rights in Cambodia, said people had to understand there should be no immunity in such matters.

His comments came after Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen rejected calls by human rights groups for the two men to stand trial for crimes against humanity.

The men, Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea, are having talks with Hun Sen at a military base just ouside the capital Phnom Penh after leaving their base in the western town of Pailin.

'Bury the past'

Hun Sen said Cambodians should "dig a hole and bury the past and look to the future".

He said a trial might cause a return to civil war and that the Phnom Penh government should be allowed to decide how to deal with the last remnants of the Khmer Rouge.


[ image: Hun Sen: Previously backed trial]
Hun Sen: Previously backed trial
Until recently the prime minister had said he fully supported the establishment of a tribunal to prosecute key Khmer Rouge leaders for crimes against humanity.

Human rights groups say that there can be no reconciliation in Cambodia until leaders of the guerrilla movement are held accountable.

Our correspondent in Phnom Penh says that view is shared by many ordinary Cambodians, who believe that those who wielded power should stand trial for their part in allowing the deaths of more than one million innocent people.

After the men surrendered on Christmas Day, Hun Sen hinted that they might be pardoned.

His comments were echoed by Cambodia's monarch, King Sihanouk, who expressed his deep gratitude that the men had surrendered.

However, Sidney Jones, director of Human Rights Watch Asia, said it was unthinkable to allow the men to return to society as if one of the worst massacres of the 20th century never took place.

Key figures

Khieu Samphan was the group's nominal leader in the 1980s, while Nuon Chea was a shadowy figure who devised much of the Khmer Rouge's extreme left-wing ideology.

Their emergence means the only senior Khmer Rouge commander still on the loose is Ta Mok, a lieutenant of the reviled dictator Pol Pot, who died of a suspected heart attack in March.


[ image: Khieu Samphan: Public face of the Khmer Rouge]
Khieu Samphan: Public face of the Khmer Rouge
Khieu Samphan became the public face of the secretive Khmer Rouge when he represented the movement during 1991 peace talks.

He was officially head of state in Cambodia between April 1976 and the overthrow of the guerrillas by the neighbouring Vietnamese in 1979.

In that period, later documented in the Oscar-winning film the Killing Fields, an estimated 1.7 million Cambodians died through disease, starvation or execution.

Nuon Chea, 71, was the official number two to Pol Pot.

Khieu Samphan and Nuon Chea have come forward two years after the defection of top Khmer Rouge cadre Ieng Sary, which coincided with a fatal split in the movement.

The last Khmer Rouge fighters surrendered to the government earlier this month.



Advanced options | Search tips




Back to top | BBC News Home | BBC Homepage | ©




Africa | Americas | Asia-Pacific | Europe | Middle East | South Asia



Relevant Stories

26 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Khmer Rouge leaders surrender

29 Dec 98 | Asia-Pacific
Letters of surrender - full text

21 Jul 98 | Asia-Pacific
Cambodia's troubled history

16 Apr 98 | Asia-Pacific
Architect of the 'killing fields' escapes justice





Internet Links


Legacy of the Khmer Rouge

Background to the Khmer Rouge regime

Cambodia Web

The Cambodian Genocide Programme


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites.




In this section

Indonesia rules out Aceh independence

DiCaprio film trial begins

Millennium sect heads for the hills

Uzbekistan voices security concerns

From Business
Chinese imports boost US trade gap

ICRC visits twelve Burmese jails

Falintil guerillas challenge East Timor peackeepers

Malaysian candidates named

North Korea expels US 'spy'

Holbrooke to arrive in Indonesia

China warns US over Falun Gong

Thais hand back Cambodian antiques